Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:29 AM

Dahlias

Who's growing Dahlia's this year?

Do you start yours off in pots then move them out?
Are yours sending up shoots yet or do you think it's a bit early?

I'm still only just planting my tubers, bit behind, but it's been so cold. I grow mine in big pots dotted around.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Re: Dahlias

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Who's growing Dahlia's this year?

Do you start yours off in pots then move them out?
Are yours sending up shoots yet or do you think it's a bit early?

I'm still only just planting my tubers, bit behind, but it's been so cold. I grow mine in big pots dotted around.
Not too fond of dahlias myself .. they always seem to collect loads of earwigs in the flowers
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:54 AM

Slugs made a quick meal of the last ones I planted, so probably not growing them this year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Slugs made a quick meal of the last ones I planted, so probably not growing them this year.

Hi Ania, were yours in the ground or in tubs?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 02:12 AM

Hi Ania, were yours in the ground or in tubs?
In the ground.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 06:04 AM

Growing mine from seed. They're about two inches tall.
Never tried them before.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 07:20 AM

I have quite a lot of Dahlias both in containers and in the ground. Those in containers are new this year and those in the ground have been overwintered for the third year. I don't dig up I cover up with a deep mulch of soil. As soon as you see any sign of new shoots, even in the containers, watch out for slugs! The little buggers love new shoots and they go hunting down new growth even on cold damp mornings.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-05-2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks EZ.
Do you divide yours to get more plants, or take cuttings?

I never used to like dahlia's particularly, but there are some beautiful colours aren't there, and they flower and flower for ages. Good cut flowers too.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 03:06 PM

I love them. I`m starting in a new garden so lots of work to do. I see folks walking by admiring the daffs and tulips that were here. But give me two years and then I might have some in the front garden
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks EZ.
Do you divide yours to get more plants, or take cuttings?

I never used to like dahlia's particularly, but there are some beautiful colours aren't there, and they flower and flower for ages. Good cut flowers too.
Neither Mups, I buy one or two different varieties of corms each year. I try to find ones that I don't have. Very EZ cos there are hundreds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top