Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 05:47 PM

The Spanish teacher and the Spanish computer !

SPANISH COMPUTER .....................

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.'
'Pencil,' however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.
Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2 The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your wages on accessories for it.

THIS GETS BETTER!*

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have got a better model.

who won ?
a clue - the teacher was a .............?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 05:50 PM

Re: The Spanish teacher and the Spanish computer !

Robot
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 10:14 PM

Very good, but I can't work out the answer I'm afraid.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Well it always spoils a joke if it has to be explained, so you'll just have to read it carefully again, then you will possibly find the answer................................ or not !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 11:40 PM

Well in the absence of the correct answer, I'll have a go.

The winners were the women's team because the teacher was a woman.

Not particularly funny and not particularly clever, so I suppose I'm wrong.

Come on Gilly. Tell us.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 03:57 AM

I'd guess the teacher was a hermaphrodite...because any/every/all computers I ever try to use seem to have ALL those traits!

[or maybe it's just me being a bit 'bring back the fountain pen-all is forgiven']
GillyT
Nottingham, England

02-05-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well in the absence of the correct answer, I'll have a go.

The winners were the women's team because the teacher was a woman.

Not particularly funny and not particularly clever, so I suppose I'm wrong.

Come on Gilly. Tell us.
Well I suppose it's not particularly funny to some people, but it may be to others ! I apologise for trying to bring humour to the site.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
Well I suppose it's not particularly funny to some people, but it may be to others ! I apologise for trying to bring humour to the site.
Ah, so I was right.

Gilly, I meant no harm or criticism. When I said 'not particularly funny or clever' I was referring to my answer, which I assumed would be wrong. I had no idea I might have been right!

My apologies, Gilly. I really didn't mean to upset you.
GillyT
Nottingham, England

02-05-2016, 01:27 PM

Apology accepted JBR, and I apologise for over-reacting somewhat - I am a little irritable at the moment, but not with you I hasten to add. It's just things happening off the internet, which I really shouldn't have it affect what I say or do on here ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Still I am a human being after all, with all the faults etc.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Right-now that's all sorted..who actually won?

[I presume it wasn't the laptop???]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top