Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 12:00 AM

Fatsia Japonica.

I've got a Fatsia japonica that I bought last spring. It's grown like wildfire throughout the summer. A really lovely healthy looking plant it was.
It looks such a sad sight now - four of it's leaves have turned black - I guess the frost must have got to it.
It's in a very large pot. I tied bubble wrap round the pot for a bit of frost protection but I never covered the leaves.
I'm not much of a gardener as it's a late interest I've developed .. I want to learn from my mistakes.

If you've got a Fatsia Japonica how do you over winter yours?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 07:29 AM

Re: Fatsia Japonica.

Fatsias are very hardy Carol and need no protection in winter, which can often do more harm than good as without ventilation the leaves can rot. In the hardest of winters you may have a few leaves blacken but the plant will invariably survive. I would suggest though, that over winter you bury the pot in the garden to prevent frost damage to the roots.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 09:36 AM

That's the problem Barry - we have no garden - it's all been gravelled over to make it low maintenance. Thanks for the advice though - it's good to know it might not be dying.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 10:53 AM

Then why not make better use of your bubble wrap to insulate the pot instead.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

30-01-2015, 11:26 AM

Not sure what you mean Barry. I did tie the bubble wrap round the outside of the pot. How else could I insulate it?
Do you mean take the plant out of the pot and line the pot with bubble wrap?
Oooh I'm not doing that - not in this weather - you ARE joking aren't you?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've got a Fatsia japonica that I bought last spring. It's grown like wildfire throughout the summer. A really lovely healthy looking plant it was.
It looks such a sad sight now - four of it's leaves have turned black - I guess the frost must have got to it.
It's in a very large pot. I tied bubble wrap round the pot for a bit of frost protection but I never covered the leaves.
I'm not much of a gardener as it's a late interest I've developed .. I want to learn from my mistakes.
If you've got a Fatsia Japonica how do you over winter yours?
I don't have any experience carol but someone up the road has a much-admired Fatsia japonica in his front garden and it seems to be indestructible and comes back even after severe frost damage.

We've had plants in pots in the garden that did need Winter protection and, as they were so big we left them outside but used fleeces to wrap them up.

These days you can even get drawstring fleece bags for plants in Wilkinsons for example as we still have a couple for our two Acers, just in case!

You have to be careful with bubble wrap as it could promote rot I think. stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Very poisonous plant, it usually grows back when frosted. Wouldn't touch it with bare hands if you need to remove leaves.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

30-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Not sure what you mean Barry. I did tie the bubble wrap round the outside of the pot. How else could I insulate it?
Do you mean take the plant out of the pot and line the pot with bubble wrap?
Oooh I'm not doing that - not in this weather - you ARE joking aren't you?
Sorry Carol but I misread your post. and It would appear that you've done all that you can, but as I said, the plant will no doubt survive in spite of losing a few leaves to the frost, so if it were me I wouldn't overly worry about it.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 04:27 PM

I too think it will come back Carol. I have one that isn't looking too happy at the moment but from previous experience it will come back once the weather improves. It flowered last year for the first time ever.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 11:31 PM

Mine looks really ill at the moment, only has about five leaves left and it stays in the garden all weathers all year round but it'll bounce back, it usually does. They're pretty much indestructible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top