Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 07:26 PM

Re: Fatsia Japonica.

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Very poisonous plant, it usually grows back when frosted. Wouldn't touch it with bare hands if you need to remove leaves.
From Kew

Fatsia japonica, despite its name, is not at all related to the very toxic true Castor Oil (Ricinus communis) and has no known toxic properties.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 08:41 PM

Mines out in the ground in a north facing spot. It always looks awful at the end of the winter but comes back ok.

From all the other posts it sounds like yours is a pretty average performer
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
Mines out in the ground in a north facing spot. It always looks awful at the end of the winter but comes back ok.

From all the other posts it sounds like yours is a pretty average performer
Mine are facing north and south...both look a bit battered but will come back with a vengeance,but they too are in the ground...I think it's the pot planted ones that need special care against frosts. Moved to a frost free corner or in a greenhouse perhaps for the worse months.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 10:42 PM

I have seen Fatsia Japonica with labels saying all parts of the plant are poisonous, so I expect as they are so similar in appearance, they are cautious in case someone mistakes one for the other, perhaps it should be handled with care just to be sure.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 10:53 PM

They certainly are almost indestructible but to prevent any icy wind or frost damage I always use fleece around the plant. Fleece allows the plant to breathe where bubble wrap will retain any moisture already on the leaves and over a long period of winter will do more harm than good.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK

28-02-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I have seen Fatsia Japonica with labels saying all parts of the plant are poisonous, so I expect as they are so similar in appearance, they are cautious in case someone mistakes one for the other, perhaps it should be handled with care just to be sure.
You're probably right...I suppose one good thing in this country is that the REAL castor oil plant will NOT survive frost

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top