Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Planning permission

Be careful if you have, or intend to have, paving layed in your garden. Some people may already know this, ( I didn't), but if you want to pave over any part of your garden that exceeds 5 square metres, it now requires planning permission.
It is believed that one in eight of those who have paved over their garden to create off-road parking, may be in breach of planning regulations.
Insurance companies say "Surface water flooding is a growing problem for home-owners, particularly those living in built-up areas where there is less green space".
Since 2008 any new installation of impermeable paving in front gardens exceeding 5 sq.mtrs needs permission.
Apparently many homeowners are unaware of the regs and risk hefty fines.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Re: Planning permission

That is hard to believe(not you -the regulation) 5 square metres is nothing.

A five metre square ie 25 square metres I could understand.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:35 AM

The key word is "impermeable" and given the flooding concerns in some areas does make sense. There are ways other than a slab of concrete to provide a parking space for a car.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Seems a good idea to me, down our road I think only 2 people still have a front garden, it's becoming a concrete jungle. We need greenery and flowers etc to cheer everyone up not grey concrete.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 12:30 PM

It came into force to allow rain water to soak into the ground which in turn affects water levels. Also road drains wern't made to take the amount of water from peoples premises, only from the highway
backseat dad
thame oxon
backseat dad is male  backseat dad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Seems a good idea to me, down our road I think only 2 people still have a front garden, it's becoming a concrete jungle. We need greenery and flowers etc to cheer everyone up not grey concrete.
i agree with this, our estate is gradually becoming more car dominated with less trees. the trees are either in the way of creating yet another off road space or car owners don't like the leaves on their cars.

the situation is made worse where i live as the local council allows the sale of incidental land which means fewer green verges and those which survive get churned up with parking.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Why not get the pavers that allow grass to grow but provide a solid surface for a car to be parked on? Best of both worlds and the water can seep into the soil.

I wonder if part of the problem is because in the UK they mix storm water and sewage (or they used to when I lived there) and tertiary treatment of storm water is just a waste of money. I'm only speculating.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why not get the pavers that allow grass to grow but provide a solid surface for a car to be parked on? Best of both worlds and the water can seep into the soil.
Great suggestion
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:32 PM

Only thing is Bruce, when the grass grows through, how to you keep it down? Not sure if I'd fancy my mower blades bashing that concrete underneath?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wonder if part of the problem is because in the UK they mix storm water and sewage (or they used to when I lived there) and tertiary treatment of storm water is just a waste of money. I'm only speculating.
Not everywhere Bruce my storm water goes into a separate drain

Part of the problem is farmers and councils no longer do ditch clearing these days and many are full of debris.

'Hedging and ditching' used to be standard winter work for farmers and council workers, a clean ditch is a rare sight these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top