Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Re: Planning permission

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Only thing is Bruce, when the grass grows through, how to you keep it down? Not sure if I'd fancy my mower blades bashing that concrete underneath?
Get a Victa

backseat dad
thame oxon
backseat dad is male  backseat dad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 12:36 PM

i'm not sure grasscrete is for me - blocks are permeable so it is just concrete or tarmac that are the potential problems with run off.

i think it is good to keep a hedge and as much of the front garden boundary as possible green otherwise the street starts looking bleak and miserable.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by backseat dad ->
i'm not sure grasscrete is for me - blocks are permeable so it is just concrete or tarmac that are the potential problems with run off.

i think it is good to keep a hedge and as much of the front garden boundary as possible green otherwise the street starts looking bleak and miserable.
Not quite sure what you mean permeable = allowing liquids or gases to pass through it. Surely that is what is needed?
backseat dad
thame oxon
backseat dad is male  backseat dad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 05:01 PM

sorry i wasn't very clear,

i mean Concrete Block Permeable Paving

as per:- http://www.pavingexpert.com/permeable04.htm

i'm somebody that occasionally crawls around under vehicles

grasscrete wouldn't be good for jacking or generally working on motors.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by backseat dad ->
sorry i wasn't very clear,

i mean Concrete Block Permeable Paving

as per:- http://www.pavingexpert.com/permeable04.htm

i'm somebody that occasionally crawls around under vehicles

grasscrete wouldn't be good for jacking or generally working on motors.
Actually they look fine for jacking up cars Though I wouldn't try on the ones I proposed but they sure as hell stop this:

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

27-02-2015, 04:55 AM

...or this

Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 03:43 PM

Big flashy tractors are too heavy for field drains which lie too near the surface to cope with the weight so water is coming down from hills and off the fields to add to the flooding problem. The wee town I live in has suffered a lot from flash floods due to that and when folk get rid of their gardens in favour of hard landscaping, allowances are not made for drainage. We learn the hard way! Many driveways just have two parallel rows of slabs and gravel in between. Of course that would only work if they didn't use polythene under them.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 09:51 AM

I may have mentioned this before but in the main road just off mine, all houses have a very small front garden, due to the size of the houses. And not long ago, when walking down to our Co-op, I looked in to each garden to see whether they'd retained the grass, and would say 95% hadn't!! Concrete concrete concrete.

And I've not scratched the surface of checking other roads, but I bet it's the same scenario. They obviously prefer it as easy maintenance but don't care (or are ignorant) of the consequences.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 10:30 AM

I think there is a mind set with some people thinking what they do is not going to make any difference. I used to work with a woman who told us about getting new double glazing and how the wood would be from the Brazilian rain forest and would therefore would last longer. I pointed out that the rain forests were disappearing for that reason, tribes and animals were losing their habitats and her reply was "but everyone getting them". This was an intelligent woman yet could turn a blind eye when she felt it reasonable that it improved the life of her windows.

Perhaps additional council tax to include all the hard landscaping would help provide extra to remedy they damage getting done. It could also be insistent that some alternative form of drainage is installed.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 07:03 PM

When we moved to the house we're now in we slung nearly all the original 'garden' into a skip - it was mostly enormous concrete slabs. We now have a drive, a circular lawn, a border with perennials, a small gravel garden and ......... plenty of room for water run off!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top