Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 06:57 PM

Wild flowers /meadows

I have quite a long strip of land - only narrow, about 12-18 inches - on the outside of my fence - bordering the pavement. It always looks a mess (it did have a hedge there but it was removed) - weeds etc.

Someone has suggested that I sow wild flowers there - has anyone any experience of this or advice?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 07:06 PM

Re: Wild flowers /meadows

I purchased a pkt of wild flower seed from amazon, only to have wild weeds grow up instead

Cornflower are easy to sow and i had a good success rate , i didnt thin them out as it suggested but left them thick to support each other ..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 07:36 PM

I always plant a wildflower mix and this is a very small area and it looks after itself, really.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 07:51 PM

I've always fancied making part of my lawn into a wild flower meadow, but to do it properly requires a lot of preparation. A friend has done it but he sprayed the lawn numerous times to kill it off, rotovated it twice and then planted the seeds. The first year he had a huge crop of thistles and little else. He did some more work and the next year it was a lovely meadow. But for a narrow strip such as yours I'd be tempted to just toss seeds around and see what happens!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I always plant a wildflower mix and this is a very small area and it looks after itself, really.
That looks lovely cranberry. I've never tried planting wildflowers but if they were likely to turn out as good as yours, I would give them a try.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 08:47 PM

I only get a couple of packets of seed and save some from previous years, it's easy - I never thin them out, I like it a bit crowded. The little patch returns every year and it's full of insects, bees and butterflies.
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 10:26 PM

It does look lovely Cranberry - what seeds do you get and what time of year do you sow them.

I looked on line and found there were lots of different types of wild flower meadows.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 11:29 PM

Kitty, it should tell you on the packet exactly what mix it is. Have a read of the packets at your garden centre.

Cranberry, your picture is very pretty. Well done you.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 07:42 AM

In early 2000 i moved house and wanted to make my new garden look nice, so sent off for some Wild Flower seeds that came on a roll of mossy earth which you embedded into the ground and watered them in. They did grow but not enough as i think that area of garden didn't get enough light.
By the way my favourite Flower is the Poppy
Your garden looks very well kept and lush... Well Done!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 08:14 AM

I think its a lovely idea to sow some seeds on otherwise unloved ground..

We have 'adopted' the space around the base of a tree just outside our house and together with our neighbours we have planted flowers and put up a low fence. The effect is that we now have 99% less dog and cat mess outside our houses because a loved space tends to deter people from allowing their dog to foul and the cats cant easily dig there..

(we did get permission from the council)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top