Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Re: Wild flowers /meadows

The seed I sow are Nigella, Cornflower, marigold, poppies - 3 different ones, Fox and Cubs, Honesty, Foxglove, Borage, Yarrow and anything else that's knocking around.
Rake the ground lightly in March and just throw them on the ground with a slight flick of soil over them, a gentle tamp down and a drop of water if conditions are dry.

As I say it's a small area next to the patio but I love it.

Thank you all for the nice comments..
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 03:43 PM

For ground cover both winter and summer, try Vinca. Leaves similar to Ivy and blue flowers in the summer. Plant bulbs first so that they will grow through the foliage in the Spring. A good all year round display needing very little attention.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I purchased a pkt of wild flower seed from amazon, only to have wild weeds grow up instead.
I used a so-called Wild Flower Mix at work and got mostly weeds too and they weren't the "normal" weeds we get here so I'm now suspicious of those packs.

I've got a few packets of various flowers at home - can't remember which now as I'm at work now but I've done a few named species here before and they were pretty good.

Some of the Annuals actually set seeds and I get'em back every year in places - pleases a lot of people here because they are very early. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 04:54 PM

I prefer a couple of packets with the seed specified and then a mixed one I usually get good results that way. We also collect seed if we're out in the countryside, not illegal to do that, and neighbours sometimes have stuff going spare.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I used a so-called Wild Flower Mix at work and got mostly weeds too and they weren't the "normal" weeds we get here so I'm now suspicious of those packs.

I've got a few packets of various flowers at home - can't remember which now as I'm at work now but I've done a few named species here before and they were pretty good.

Some of the Annuals actually set seeds and I get'em back every year in places - pleases a lot of people here because they are very early. stevmk2
Glad i was not the only one Steve to get that result ..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->
I have quite a long strip of land - only narrow, about 12-18 inches - on the outside of my fence - bordering the pavement. It always looks a mess (it did have a hedge there but it was removed) - weeds etc.

Someone has suggested that I sow wild flowers there - has anyone any experience of this or advice?
My answer would be no as some yob is bound to pluck them for fun.
At the kennels we actually had a yob jump our wall and snatch some daffodils and further down the lane toss them into a hedge

Also the question is who actually owns the land. If it is council property they can make you reinstate to back how it was
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I always plant a wildflower mix and this is a very small area and it looks after itself, really.
They look so pretty Cranberry. I love wild flowers.
cranberry
Notts, UK

11-02-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
My answer would be no as some yob is bound to pluck them for fun.
At the kennels we actually had a yob jump our wall and snatch some daffodils and further down the lane toss them into a hedge

Also the question is who actually owns the land. If it is council property they can make you reinstate to back how it was
Talk about a Job's comforter

alice, I think I prefer the wildflowers to any others.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Talk about a Job's comforter

alice, I think I prefer the wildflowers to any others.
Cranberry, when we are out with the walkers on a Saturday, we come across lots of wild flowers, which make us stop to admire them. I agree with you. I prefer them too. They are so subtle and pretty
cranberry
Notts, UK

11-02-2015, 07:27 PM

I'm not one for walking as such but you can't beat a walk in the countryside on a warm early summers day, the flowers along with the birds singing is a simple pleasure but makes you feel so glad to be alive!
And a meal and a couple of drinks on the way back - perfect!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top