Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Setting Seeds!

We've had a good day today getting lots of things started.

I've got my 1st Early spuds in now - no choice really 'cos they'd chitted!

This time I've tried to get it a little better for them and I've reduced my bags down to 3 per bag and I've also got the ph better in the soil they're in by using peat, although it wasn't quite what I was expecting!

I checked the ph and found it was near-as-dammit 7.0!

To me that's not what I'd expect from Irish Peat so, obviously, something's changed and Irish Peat isn't actually all Peat anymore.

No matter though because I've boosted the acidity so I'll see how they get on this year.

I've also got my Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Cabbages and Salad Leaf crops on the go now - the Salad Leaf is a Tuscan Mix that looks good - our favourite, plus I've done some Webb's Wonderful Lettuce because it was so good last year.

We actually spent nearly 5 hours out there today and it was nice to get back into gardening again - really miss it all when it's so cold! stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 05:50 PM

Re: Setting Seeds!

You have been a busy Bee ,the weather is mild in Notts for the time of year and on my walk i noticed some of the hedgerow sprouting ,
We don't grow veg anymore ,but on occasions my OH tries to grow Spring Onions, but. He said they don't taste as they did years go ,a
He does get a good success rate with Radishes,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 06:57 PM

You have done well Steve it is too wet to get into my garden yet.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 11:45 AM

This morning I've sown tomatoes and leeks which I start off in the spare bedroom and onion sets which I start off in a seed tray in my greenhouse. No more to sow until the middle of March.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
You have been a busy Bee ,the weather is mild in Notts for the time of year and on my walk i noticed some of the hedgerow sprouting ,
We don't grow veg anymore ,but on occasions my OH tries to grow Spring Onions, but. He said they don't taste as they did years go ,a
He does get a good success rate with Radishes,
I knew I'd forgotten something - must get some Spring Onion seeds - I go for Ishikuras, a variety of that doesn't form a bulb - they're bunching so you can grow some pretty long, thick ones which are great in salads.

I didn't have much success last year though but I did buy cheap seed so this time I'll go back to Thompson & Morgan. stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I knew I'd forgotten something - must get some Spring Onion seeds - I go for Ishikuras, a variety of that doesn't form a bulb - they're bunching so you can grow some pretty long, thick ones which are great in salads.

I didn't have much success last year though but I did buy cheap seed so this time I'll go back to Thompson & Morgan. stevmk2
I don't grow spring onions as I've got a bunch of everlasting onions which are like chives but are "cut and come again" all year round.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

01-03-2015, 08:47 PM

Nice to see seedlings up from almost everything I set - even four of the Tomatoes and one Cucumber which surprised me as it's not been particularly good weather here lately.

Swedes are the most prolific but the cabbages are not far behind.
I've even got my Tuscan Salad Mix up too but no sign of my spuds yet.

Although I've done Red Barron Onion seeds I got some sets too because we do use a lot of onions and I'm determined to do better this year so I've put 30 in a seed tray and they're in a plastic grow-house next to the Tuscan Mix now.

We intended to do a fair bit of tidying up again today but as usual we found things that took a long time but needed doing, like the overgrown Ivy and Parthenocissus which had covered up the Hydrangea petiolaris!

The bottom grass is still very wet so walking up and down's flattened it again and it's almost mud in two places so we had to cut work short or the damage outweighs what we achieve.

Put some pea shingle down where we ripped out the fence by the top shed and I actually found Wickes has some Cotswold Buff now @ £6.49 per bag and the top half of our garden is nearly all stone apart from a little bit of grass now.

The roof on the bottom shed is now almost completely rotted so that needs doing urgently now - it's never-ending.

Materials will have to wait as this week it's been car tax, MOT and full service so the coffers are a bit depleted so it'll have to wait for the pension to come in now.

Lottery Numbers useless again.......... stevmk2
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:41 AM

I've only just cleaned out the greenhouse so couldn't plant before but yesterday I went mad and made up for lost time. All the flower seeds in and broad beans started off and all the salad stuff. Much too wet to plant straight outside. Sweet peas were planted a few weeks ago but I kept them indoors. They are in the coldframe now.

I use a plank on the grass path to my greenhouse while it's so wet and move it again when I finished trudging up and down, it does seem to protect the grass...distributes the weight I suppose.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 10:16 PM

Wow it would be wonderful to b e able to have stuff outside at this time. We have two greenhouses, which now are full of seeds just starting to sprout, we heat it with Candles!!! OK funny ! but Norway uses candles so much , these were on offer and are those thick stubby ones 72 hour burning, so we have 4 in each house , its amazing how much heat they give off, the greenhouses are quite well insulated as well.
We have 10 buckets just planted up with Parsnip seeds, they are so expensive to buy here, about £1 each !!!
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 10:17 PM

lot of work to do Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top