Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 10:28 PM

Re: Setting Seeds!

I would have normally have started my seed sowing but I'm waiting another couple of weeks due to the cold. We are about 2 weeks behind last year with the weather... I have a greenhouse with no heating. I've got the compost, trays and all my seeds at the ready.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I knew I'd forgotten something - must get some Spring Onion seeds - I go for Ishikuras, a variety of that doesn't form a bulb - they're bunching so you can grow some pretty long, thick ones which are great in salads.

I didn't have much success last year though but I did buy cheap seed so this time I'll go back to Thompson & Morgan. stevmk2
Yes Steve they are the best, plenty in the packets
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 12:26 AM

Why are parsnips so expensive in Norway, Norway? Are all your root crops as expensive?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
Why are parsnips so expensive in Norway, Norway? Are all your root crops as expensive?
Most people do not even know what they are, at the checkout you have to tell the girl what they are bcause she does not know what to look up, carrots are about the cheapest, oh ! and what the U K call swede, that's not too bad, but like most things here, to the British they are expensive.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 05:16 PM

Spring onion tip I had from a wise man;

Sow them in small pots-then plant out a bunch at a time.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Most people do not even know what they are, at the checkout you have to tell the girl what they are bcause she does not know what to look up, carrots are about the cheapest, oh ! and what the U K call swede, that's not too bad, but like most things here, to the British they are expensive.
Perhaps I ought to export some of my surplus!! I usually end up making parsnip wine from the ones that have gone a bit past it. Before you ask. it's mostly undrinkable
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 11:17 PM

Just sowed my cherry tomatoe seeds today, some 'cut & come again' lettuce leaves, and about 100 cosmos sonata. Tonight I was thinking of putting my Sweet Pea seeds in for an overnight soak ready to sow in the morning.
I suppose next week I'd better think about starting off the Begonias, but maybe its a bit early for the Dahlias, not sure. Anyone started theirs yet?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 10:19 AM

We pricked out seedlings yesterday to grow on in our plastic greenhouses.

I've got enough to go in as soon as they are strong enough and the risk of frost has diminished so I'm pleased that we have Cabbages, Swedes, Lettuce and Chard to join the Tuscan Salad mix that I tried sowing outside as they are all up too.

I've got four Cherry Tomato plants and two Cucumber plants but they have to stay indoors for a while longer and the Red Onions are still far too small to prick out so they'll stay in the front bedroom for couple more weeks too.

I pricked out 18 Sweet Peas that my wife tried and there are about 10 more that'll need pricking out later if she wants those too.

I had intended to sow a few more flower seeds yesterday too but it suddenly started raining @ 13:00 and I'd thought we still had a couple of hours!
stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top