Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 09:42 PM

Re: Sweet Peas

Twiz, my gardening mag. suggested popping paper clips on top of the rolls to hold them together and stop them toppling over.

When I tried last year, I had a bit of trouble filling the rolls with compost without them keep falling over. I gave up in the end and went back to pots instead.
I perhaps didn't have them packed against each tightly enough.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 07:26 PM

My wife's bought some seeds and is going to try them herself so I'm hoping she has better luck than usual.

I seem to have a gift with seeds and I can get almost anything to grow from seed but for some odd reason whenever my wife tries the plants never flourish.

I'm tempted to get another pack and start some myself on the QT then swap them if hers start to fade.

It's such a shame but I'm hoping it'll work out OK this time for her. stevmk2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 10:51 PM

I used to grow loads of sweet peas and they bloomed so well I bought a roll of cellophane and made bouquets. I bought two packs of seed and then collected seed to future years.
Sadly in my new home, they just don't seem to do well but I've bought another two packs of seed and I'll start them off soon.
Toilet rolls are good but you can make paper pots by wrapping some newspaper around a toilet roll and pushing one end in - you can also make them a bit longer as they like deep pots.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 11:37 PM

I'm going to grow some tall ones and some dwarf ones in pots as well.
Hope they're as nice as the picture on the packet.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Sweet peas are wonderful, a friend gave me a packet, I was in a rush so just pushed them into compost in pots around my bird table .... great display, very little work and I was cutting them every evening for months.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top