Join for free
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 02:37 PM

winter hanging baskets

I bought three lovely winter hanging baskets as gifts last year.
Of the three two have thrived and one is pretty much dead, even the trailing ivy looks sad
But this belongs to my son and his wife; it was a house warming present and I bet they never watered it once!
Is it worth trying to revive it with new plants when I visit next week?
If so what would you clever gardeners recommend?
Or do winter baskets have a thrive-by-date?
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Re: winter hanging baskets

If the other baskets survived the winter, it might be position. I stopped hanging baskets at the front of my house because the wind just cut across and killed the plants. Now I have them in a sheltered corner at the back, do not water them in the winter, Ivy trails and Spring bulbs growing through the Ivy. So it could just be the position of your son's basket not their lack of care and attention.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 07:39 PM

Re: winter hanging baskets

I'd be inclined to wait a few weeks then replant with summer plants.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top