Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Feet for yr pots..Recycle.

Just had a brilliant idea. Hopefully this will also detract/stop the slugs as they hate coffee. We love our new machine for Dolce Gusto Cappuccino. The little tubs make wonderful feet under our plant pots. The coffee ones are ever better as the slugs hate coffee so I'm hoping that I will have slug free plant pots this summer so start saving them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Re: Feet for yr pots..Recycle.

I hope it works for you Chris I have tried coffee in the past and the slugs were not deterred
The best slug treatment I have found is a torch/trowel/bucket
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 10:16 PM

Hi Meg, too many slugs here for the torch method. Will Let you know in the autumn if I think it's worked. Worth a go anyway.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 10:53 PM

We have been threatened with a major slug/snail infestation this year because of the mild winter.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chris99 ->
Hi Meg, too many slugs here for the torch method. Will Let you know in the autumn if I think it's worked. Worth a go anyway.
When I first started collecting slugs about 5 years ago I could pick up half a bucket on a warm evening , now I am luck if I find half a dozen so I think it must be working
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 06:01 AM

If you are worried by slugs and snails keep a couple of ducks. They are so efficient at removing slugs and snails that I had to bring snails home for them. Their stupid feet don't damage plants either.

Best pet I ever had.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 10:05 AM

I put out slug pubs. The smell of beer seems to reach their wee noses ok and I've never seen slugs travel so fast or drink so quickly. You can almost hear them slurping, then they get too drunk and fall in. They die happy For those which are teetotal, a little salt melts them in seconds, it does leave a gelatinous blob but that goes away within a couple of days. I keep a small box (the base cut from a milk carton) with salt in it in the greenhouse and any that stray over the threshold get put in the box - quick easy disposal.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Why not just put out a little notice saying

" To all slugs, there is a better feeding place next door"

Reminds me of the time one winter when a snail banged his shell on a back door as if knocking.
The man answered the door and saw the snail there.
The snail said " can I come in for a couple of minutes just to warm up?"
The guy said "NO" and kicked the snail right down to the bottom of his very long garden.

Next winter the snail again knocked on the door and when the man answered

the snail said "What did you do that for?"

Think about it and you will get the joke
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 11:50 AM

What a stupid snail, crawling all the way back to ask a dumb question.
I don't get it.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Put a small water fountain in your garden and get a few frogs that will keep the slugs down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top