Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Re: greenhouse arrived

Finished emulsioning the spare room just the top coat of gloss to do tomorrow then that is two bedrooms completed..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 04:42 PM

Been down the council tip this morning with yet another trailer full of garden rubbish at least 10 bags and huge plant bush roots. Then another go at the greenhouse, took ages to get the window opening right. it would help if the instructions were at least as good as Akai
Link

http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/pd...HQ_ISSUE_2.pdf

The instructions if you have looked do not even follow in a logical order
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 07:35 PM

It doesn't matter if you curse and swear at it now, once it's finished, you will stand back and admire it and think it was all worth while. There will be another flush of pride when whatever you put in it starts to grow. If you can find room for a chair or stool, you can even enjoy a cuppa while watching them grow LOL
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Agnes

We have gone too far now with the project to stop, if you have been following it. What the problem is who ever wrote the instructions already knew how to put it together.
Like most people they "assume" and not get someone off the street to do the assembly and make notes and take pictures of the tricky bits.

It is not just with this project but when we owned Boarding kennels and cattery we had a very good DOS base boarding program.

John who built the program visited us and my friends kennels 6 or 7 times to get it right

When Windows 7 came along I asked several computer programmers, who did boarding programs, How many end users did they consult to get it as people wanted. Without fail not even one had bothered to go to a kennels to see their requirements .

All i got was "I am the programmer and I know what I am doing " attitude.

To me it seems now there is too much education going on getting qualifications and not enough on what is actually wanted in practical terms.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 01:15 AM

My thoughts entirely, too much text book education and not enough hands on. Usually instructions are written to be idiot proof which just goes to prove that we are not idiots LOL

I have been following your thread I've helped with the assembly of two greenhouses and there was arguments about the instructions in both cases. There is also the thoughts that one of them might get dismantled and moved to be built up again though it might be easier because it can be kept in sections.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Loads of problems. The slab base is level so is the greenhouse base. from there up it is well out of true by at least half a brick thickness. On top of that they have cut the glass to dead size , no tolerance left at all to the extent it won't fit. They should have left at least a few mm to clearance.. Today got the sliding doors on yet again no photos or information onsome of the assembly. We have even had to widen the top runner slot for the wheels to run smoothly.

Can't say we have had so many problems with the other greenhouse we put up some years ago. may have to undo eachn support in turn to see if we can slide the glass into place.

The driver stacked the glass in the wrong order as well so one pain has shattered even though it is supposed to be toughened grass when i tried to move the others.

Might even have to resort to other material if this glass don't work
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland

20-03-2015, 06:48 PM

When we put the last greenhouse up, it was level enough but we hadn't checked it was for being square. We had a lot of work just trying to figure out we had done wrong. We even thought it was a fault in the greenhouse but then it dawned on us and once we got that bit right, it was plain sailing.

Toughened glass isn't 'tough'. It just breaks into little cubes and is very expensive to replace. I put in full length toughened glass and a couple of panes shattered in a storm, it was expensive enough for me to claim on my insurance. Last time I decided to replace any broken panes with double wall polycarbonate and bought a couple of sheets fairly cheaply on the internet which I could cut to size. With the special sticky tape to secure it further, it's been in place for about 4 years, it won't break, it's easy and cheap to replace and I will not buy toughened glass again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-03-2015, 01:38 AM

Going to have a day off working on the greenhouse if the weather is nice might go and have a look at Bodium Castle instead. We have been working on the greenhouse project without a break for far too long.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Greenhouse arrived at noon so spent right up to now trying to assemble it. What an absolute pig as well to do. I don't think the instructions weer much good either, must be at least 50 metal sections not the mention the glass. Still most of the skeleton is done now, just got the sliding doors and a bit more metal work then the glass. They say 2 people 2 days work, yes if you know where everything fits but more like 3 or 4 days for us

Might be quicker and easier to move to somewhere warmer
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote Realspeed.
"To me it seems now there is too much education going on getting qualifications and not enough on what is actually wanted in practical terms"

I agree 100% with that Bazza.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top