Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 08:43 PM

Re: Laptop

Originally Posted by JainieB ->
I've just upgraded from Windows 8 to windows 10, and I don't see an awful lot of difference, so don't know why I bothered. But everything is working, and though I had trouble with my wifi printer I've managed to get it working now.
It looks like Microsoft wants everyone on Windows 10. Those who don't upgrade might find it increasingly difficult to avoid in the end.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...pgrades-worse/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Got a Toshiba laptop for a Christmas present.......not getting on with it at all. It's Windows 10 does seem easy it's faffing around trying to find or remember where things are. Will have to play more with it I'm still using IPad when I should be sorting myself out with that.
Probably the best thing for you to do is to download and install a program called "Classic Shell".

You can get it by clicking here >> http://www.classicshell.net/

It replaces the appalling WIN8/WIN10 menu with the more familiar Windows menu of previous versions. Gives Windows 8/10 the advantage of a familiar Start Menu with the extra features of Win 10

You can select from three different styles the original Windows, Two Columns or Windows 7 Style but the WIN8/10 menu is just a click away. It's brilliant.

BTW if it is WIN 8 take advantage of M$ offer to upgrade to 10 it is far better.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by JainieB ->
I've just upgraded from Windows 8 to windows 10, and I don't see an awful lot of difference, so don't know why I bothered. But everything is working, and though I had trouble with my wifi printer I've managed to get it working now.
Windows 8 was a bit of a dog - WIN10 is an improvement, for example the absurd Charms bar has gone, the silly tiled "desktop" has gone and the Start button is back. Those three things alone make the upgrade worthwhile, add Classic Shell and it is pretty damn good.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Probably the best thing for you to do is to download and install a program called "Classic Shell".

It replaces the appalling WIN8/WIN10 menu with the more familiar Windows menu of previous versions. Gives Windows 8/10 the advantage of a familiar Start Menu with the extra features of Win 10

You can select from three different styles the original Windows, Two Columns or Windows 7 Style but the WIN8/10 menu is just a click away. It's brilliant.

BTW if it is WIN 8 take advantage of M$ offer to upgrade to 10 it is far better.
Thanks for the info and link on Classic Shell.
Gonna check it out now.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:38 AM

Good to see you on the boards BRUCE, have you been globetrotting?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-01-2016, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Good to see you on the boards BRUCE, have you been globetrotting?
On and off, Robert. Just thought I would pop back in for a while.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 08:52 AM

My laptop was bought with Windows 10 already on it. It took me a few days to sort it out, and am still finding out new things about it. Its all a learning curve I suppose.
KnickerFarage
London
KnickerFarage is female  KnickerFarage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

that sounds interesting might try it
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:31 PM

Still faffing around......no windows media on 10.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

11-01-2016, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Still faffing around......no windows media on 10.
Just download VLC it's free and handles everything you can throw at it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

(assuming I understand your message correctly)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top