Join for free
Ole Simmo 1939
Baldivis Western Australia
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

25-01-2016, 12:17 PM

iphone tech problem

Hi,I was just looking for a little bit of advice on my good wife Patricia's iphone, I myself am pretty useless when it comes to this sort of thing. The problem is that the iphone has just brought up about 4000+ old emails, messages etc dating back several years & Patricia is at her wits end trying to get rid of them.She has tried manually but it is a slow job & when she opens it up they have all come back Our local telephone agency were not very helpful.
If any one could put us on the right track we would be so grateful.
It would have to be a step by step procedure as we are not very tech minded, especially your's truly.
We have an excellent home telephone plan which enables us to make overseas calls to landlines or mobiles very cheaply if required or whatever it takes.
Patricia has her ipad plus we have a home computer if messages are required.Many thanks Terry
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

25-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Re: iphone tech problem

Hi again, sorry I should have mentioned we live in Baldivis, Western Australia. we are about 7 or 8 hours ahead of UK time..Terry
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Are her iPhone emails linked to a standard email provider? My Android based phone and home PC use my Google account for emails so when an email arrives it goes to my PC and my phone at the same time. If I then delete the email from my PC or my phone it gets deleted at my Gmail account automatically but the email account has to be set up to do this. What may be happening in your case is the emails on your email account aren't being deleted so the whole lot are being re-synchronised.
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

25-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Hi Judd, many thanks for your quick response re, iphone problem, I have just run it past my good lady & she informs me that her ipad receives all of the messages etc that also go to the iphone ,but there is no problem at all with the ipad when she deletes them, its only the iphone which for some reason brings up several years of past emails etc & once they are deleted manually which takes forever & a day they all come back straight away.
I t is a bit of a curly one one Judd but many thanks for you assistance...Terry
ps Yes Judd we are connected to a local server "Telstra" with our home phone ,mobile iphone plus the internet as well,
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 01:14 PM

Found this:

"Go to settings> Mail,contacts,calendars > account> advanced> and change the check box from archived messages to delete."

Don't know if it will do the job but it may be worth a try.
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

25-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Hi Dave, Patricia has followed your instructions, she has deleted all of the emails into the rubbish bin, but the phone is now frozen ,is this due to having a big parcel of emails in the rubbish bin, she is going to leave it for a while & then have a look later ,it is looking promising ???
Patricia said thank you so much for your help. Terry
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

25-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Apologies for getting the name wrong Judd, put it down to a senior moment,
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 08:00 PM

The iphone i used to have would throw up annoying things like this, my daughter set it back to the factory settings and started from scratch. Take a note of the phone numbers if you try this.. I would say back it up on a PC, but if you do it that way you may put the problem back on the phone again, so better to do it by hand. Not saying it will work but worth a try..
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 08:12 AM

I don't understand how your iPhone is getting the emails if they don't exist.
Your email account us totally seperated, if you have for example, 3 messages then notification of these would be sent to your phone, only notification of their existence is sent, not the actual email, this stays in your email account inbox.

All I can think of is going into your email account using a PC/tablet and read/delete/archive the emails.

Your iPhone is not at fault, it is obviously receiving info and telling you.

A factory re-set should not be necessary, it shouldn't be the phone as it updates email info every time it logs onto the Internet. Also you have an iTunes account that holds your phone numbers/photos etc that should be safe and reloaded onto your iPhone when you reset it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

09-02-2016, 01:17 AM

Did you get the wife's phone sorted out Simmo?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top