Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 03:05 PM

Google Chrome and Vista

I've just started receiving messages from Google Chrome that I will soon not be able to receive downloads if I am using MS Vista or XP as these will no longer be supported.
Can anyone explain what this will mean to me as I'm using Vista on my desktop PC.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 03:23 PM

Re: Google Chrome and Vista

OGF it generally means that your operating system is out of date and will no longer receive support in the form of security updates etc leaving your PC vulnerable.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 03:30 PM

XP users have had no support from Microsoft for some time now and have'nt been blasted off the face of the earth..

When I got this message I immediately switched to another Browser and will update that when Google pulls the plug.

But I would be interested to know just what further disasters will befall us apart from the inconvenience of having to switch browsers !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 08:12 PM

I have Vista on the old desktop. Something to look into.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 11:00 PM

Thanks Meg, Solo and Jazzi, I like Vista and I changed to Google Chrome a couple of years ago when my version of IE started to limit the things that were available.
I have always turned Microsoft downloads off but I don't know what will happen when Google stop supporting Vista. I have Windows 7 on my Netbook and although it's okay, it's not as good as Vista in my opinion, and I have some files on Vista that Windows 7 can't open.

I shall leave Vista as it is for the time being and see what happens, but if the worst comes to the worst I will replace Vista with Windows 7......I have a disc.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 01:02 AM

Vista is still supported by M$ for another 12 months or so (from memory until March 2017 give or take).

If Chrome won't support Vista until then get another browser, there are plenty. Why be held ransom by Google?

Might as well stick with it until then when your machine will be old enough to replace with something new and you can give your old machine to a charity which refurbishes them for third world countries or people too mean to upgrade.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Might as well stick with it until then when your machine will be old enough to replace with something new and you can give your old machine to a charity which refurbishes them for third world countries or people too mean to upgrade.

Please pay me the courtesy of not judging why I wish to stay with XP.

Why are you assuming that people are too mean to upgrade !.

I would imagine that others with XP like myself still prefer to stay with what has been a good working sysytem that has caused little trouble rather than be blackmailed by MS into buying something they want us to.

MS know XP was their best and have prettied up 10 to try and replicate that. To date it is nowhere near it.

Multi coprporation ie. our banks/councils that have and are using XP have payed MS to upgrade and will no doubt pay Google to do the same . It is just your home user that is going to be affected.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks Bruce and Solo,
I do quite a bit of work on my computers offline, and I can quickly navigate around Vista and Windows 7 creating files and other interesting stuff in the blink of an eye. I don't want to waste time having to re-educate myself with updated versions and new operating systems - the older I get the less time I seem to have.

Prior to using Vista I was on Windows 98 and had a very useful program called 'Microsoft Money' it was not compatible with Vista, so I lost it. I also had files on 'Microsoft Works' when I purchased my Netbook with Windows 7, it would not open Works, so all my files on works had to be changed to Excel and Word. If this is going to be the case in the future, I will return to pen and paper. I can still read documents that I wrote in my teens some fifty years ago.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 06:26 PM

XP was released in 2001 and there perhaps isn't much else in the computer world that would still be in use after 15 years. Might be able to get a little more time with it. In the end though, most software writers won't cater for it anymore.

Nonetheless, 15 years isn't a bad lifespan for something used in the home? Not everyone got it 15 years ago of course but most of those still using it will have had it for a good long time.

Vista has been around for 9 years. Even though it isn't going to get the support time that XP got, perhaps still not too bad. I don't know why Google couldn't have kept support for Vista going for another year though.

I reckon XP and Vista have both been good value for money. They might have cost a bit to buy initially (perhaps included as part if a computer purchase) but probably only cost a few Pence per week if the initial outlay is spread over the period of time the operating systems are used. With that in mind, I sometimes have trouble seeing why Microsoft is thought so money-grabbing.

They possibly got rich not out of excessive charges but more because their operating systems and other 'long-term support' software (buy once and keep it 10+ years) sold by the quadra-zillions.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-01-2016, 09:54 PM

Thanks Mart, very interesting and you are right, I suppose I have had my monies worth. However, I believe the downloading of new software on to and old computer causes problems. Not least because modern computers have vastly more memory capability than the older machines and are faster, and new software is written for the latest computers. Hence some of the problems that arise with updating to a more recent operating system.

That said, it means that it is not just the operating system that needs replacing but the whole computer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top