Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 10:31 PM

Re: Google Chrome and Vista

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That said, it means that it is not just the operating system that needs replacing but the whole computer.
This is unfortunately sometimes the case. I think a lot people wait until 'new computer' time because then the newer OS comes as part of the purchase. Seems quite a good thing to do.

I feel that, if a computer has been used for 6 years or more, that would be the point where I'd say I'd had my money's worth and get a new one. Processors and other hardware tend to get better over that length of time. However, it's a personal thing as to when people feel the time is right to replace their computer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Please pay me the courtesy of not judging why I wish to stay with XP.

Why are you assuming that people are too mean to upgrade !.
Eh? Why are you assuming I am talking about you? Did I mention you?

The world doesn't revolve about you, you know.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Bruce and Solo,
I do quite a bit of work on my computers offline, and I can quickly navigate around Vista and Windows 7 creating files and other interesting stuff in the blink of an eye. I don't want to waste time having to re-educate myself with updated versions and new operating systems - the older I get the less time I seem to have.

Prior to using Vista I was on Windows 98 and had a very useful program called 'Microsoft Money' it was not compatible with Vista, so I lost it. I also had files on 'Microsoft Works' when I purchased my Netbook with Windows 7, it would not open Works, so all my files on works had to be changed to Excel and Word. If this is going to be the case in the future, I will return to pen and paper. I can still read documents that I wrote in my teens some fifty years ago.

You can make WIN10 look and feel exactly like WIN98/Vista/7 if you so desire with a simple program like Classic Shell there is no reason why you have to learn anything. I use Classic Shell BTW

I have WIN10 on this machine and am still using M$ Money. I am using version 11 (2003 I think) which I bought from Ebay years ago prior to that I used an earlier version which came with Works for WIN 95. The 2003 version converted the WIN95 version files and it still works excellently. Just look on Ebay and pick it up for peanuts.

As for Works that was pretty crap program even when it was new and there are far more powerful Office suites like LibreOffice which do a better job and are free.

There is no reason why you cannot continue to use data even when the original programs have been replaced (as you found with Works), it just needs a bit of investigation and/or planning.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:06 AM

Thanks Bruce, I will look into your suggestions, it would be nice to use MS Money again. My version was free with Windows 98.
As for the old works files, I've copied and pasted them into new Excel Workbook Files. Thanks again for the help.
Manatee
New Member!
SE
Manatee is male 

02-02-2016, 12:27 AM

XP is used in the medical field because it works with 3rd party software.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 06:47 PM

I have used Windows of all colours since Windows 98. Some have been good; some have been crap:
98 - OK
XP - good
Vista - crap
7 - good
8 - crap
10 - good, so far.

I'd really prefer the appearance and function of Windows 7, but am in the process of getting used to Windows 10. My ideal would be to have the good bits of each. I'll have to have a look at that Classic Shell!

The only trouble with earlier versions of Windows, as others have said, is that some earlier programmes won't work with newer versions. There is, of course, 'compatibility mode' but that doesn't always work. I had an ancient version of Photoshop Elements, but Windows 10 wouldn't have anything to do with it, and I had to shell out £60 for a new version!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have used Windows of all colours since Windows 98. Some have been good; some have been crap:
98 - OK
XP - good
Vista - crap
7 - good
8 - crap
10 - good, so far.
I have had all those too with the exception of 10 and haven't experienced any problems

Even 8-8.1 was fine when tidied up .
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:01 PM

I go back before Windows, anyone remember Msdos?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I go back before Windows, anyone remember Msdos?
I think the Atari our first PC had that
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 11:26 PM

I had an abacus!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top