Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Another Scam

I received yet another spoof email yesterday, so thought I'd better warn folks.

It was pretending to be from PayPal, and said I had sent a payment to someone called Henry Jackson for an amount in dollars.
Then it says if you don't think you made this payment, just click the link below for a full refund of funds.

I phoned PayPal and they said if ever they contact a customer they will use the customers NAME, this e.mail just said 'Dear paypal member'. They asked me to forward it to them at:

spoof@paypal.co.uk

So beware of this one. I asked how they would have got my email address and was told "probably from a social media site!"
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Re: Another Scam

Its called.. phishing .. Someone will bite the bait and that someone will make the scammers day
BlueEyes
UK
BlueEyes is female  BlueEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

It was pretending to be from PayPal, and said I had sent a payment to someone called Henry Jackson for an amount in dollars.
Then it says if you don't think you made this payment, just click the link below for a full refund of funds.

I phoned PayPal and they said if ever they contact a customer they will use the customers NAME, this e.mail just said 'Dear paypal member'. They asked me to forward it to them at:

spoof@paypal.co.uk

So beware of this one. I asked how they would have got my email address and was told "probably from a social media site!"
I had one too , not the same wording tho . Mine asked me to click the link so that they could check my personal details.
However, I knew that anyone genuine would always address by the full name not as this one did which was"Dear member "
I've gathered this kind of email in various forms is doing the rounds again .
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:27 AM

I've noticed Barclays Bank is even doing a 'don't get caught by telephone scammers' ad on TV now
You'd think there had been enough warnings but I suppose we all have our weak points or moments of inattention etc.

Grrr, scammers
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

spoof@paypal.co.uk

Why did you open the email in the first place ?!
BlueEyes
UK
BlueEyes is female  BlueEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
No harm there so long as you don't click links ?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
She may have an email program like mine where there's a preview pane to look at the body of the email without actually opening it.

And opening the email isn't usually what causes the problems... it's when you click the links contained within the email. That's what launches possible viruses, malware and/or spyware onto your computer.

DON'T - CLICK - THE - LINKS.

Also, if you're in doubt about a link within an email, just hover over it to read the actual web address the link actually goes to.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:52 PM

It's extremely easy to accidentally click on one of those links if you are using a touchpad rather than a mouse.

If you don't open emails that are obviously spam, then you can't ever accidentally hit those links . . . simples !
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:55 PM

But, like I said, it's possible she didn't actually open the mail. She may have read it from a viewing pane.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the warning Mups

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top