Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 01:33 PM

Windows 10 Question

Have heard that Windows 10 will go ahead and install on your computer Monday if you have not taken up the option
Any one else heard this one ?
Hope is not the case ............
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Re: Windows 10 Question

When I bought my laptop it already had Windows 10 on it, so I had no option.
I haven't had any problems with it, its another learning curve.
But I have heard of people installing it and then not being able to get certain things and cd's not working.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 02:57 PM

More clarification here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02...n_10_holdouts/

The files for Windows 10 may well have already downloaded. You'd need to un-hide hidden files and folders and look for the folders $Windows.~WS and $Windows.~BT on the C: drive. Also the Windows 10 icon next to the computer clock.

Perhaps you'll need to keep an eye on things to make sure the upgrade doesn't install but the article linked to above says that there will be a prompt screen to OK before the procedure will start. I'd hope this will have a 'No' option. See where it says, quote:

Users won't be forced to upgrade per se; Microsoft says that there will still be a prompt screen that will require users to click through and confirm the switchover to Win10 after the files have been silently downloaded and unpacked in the background.

There is also the alternative to upgrade. Not completely guaranteed that the upgrade will go OK but it does for most people. After that, it's just a matter of getting used to it. If you don't want to get to grips with the new Desktop, install 'Classic Shell' as been mentioned elsewhere (or 'Start10' for $4.99).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 04:39 PM

Thank you Mart
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Just disable Windows Updates imo
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:54 PM

I don't think it is true at all but even if it was you have the option to revert to the old system within 30 days. I did this with one of my Laptops because it did not handle WIN10 very well so currently I have two machines with WIN10 which function beautifully and one with WIN7.

It is probably a bit late now but you can stop WIN10 being downloaded to your machine I did that because I used ISO files to install WIN10 on my machines.

The secret is knowing the upgrade file that installed the Windows upgrade request in the first place KB3035583 (I am relying on a note that I made at the time but it would be worth confirming this - just google it)

Basically all you do is set your Windows updates to 'check but ask me' (which mine was anyway) then ensure that you are up to date with your updates because this saves searching later.

Look into the Windows upgrades and find the upgrade mentioned above Control Panel > Windows Update > view update history (lefthand side) > Installed Updates OR Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed updates

Find and right click on the KB3035583 file and 'uninstall' it

Reboot your computer

Visit Windows Update again and check for updates. click "xx updates are available", naturally KB3035583 will be there again - hopefully the only one, right click on it and select 'Hide update'.

You can then reset your Windows update to 'automatic' if you want.

As I say it is probably a bit too late to do this now but it will stop you getting prompts to remind you if you want WIN10 but if you definitely don't want to install WIN 10 then carry out the above then delete the WIN10 download.

Check your Windows directory (usually C:/Windows/) for a directory named $WINDOWS.~BT and delete it. Easy done.

You will need to change your Windows Explorer to "Show Hidden files and Folders" to be able to see it. It's in "advanced options"
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:11 AM

This is gobbledygook to me I'm a flippin luddite not a computer guru.

I don't understand any of it but I'm happy with my Windows 7. I don't really need to be online for much, just reading the news and visiting the odd forum.
I might well just go off-line.
If I vanish you'll know I've skipped off over the horizon, into the mist with my windows 7.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 01:05 AM

I think most would recommend to keep installing Windows Updates, just not the one that would start the Windows 10 installation if it isn't wanted (files are probably already downloaded).

Whatever is recommended, not everyone will be able to get to grips with the steps of getting rid of, or avoiding, the upgrade.

I did mine using an ISO but this is going to involve going into what might seem 'foreign language' terms and involve a lot work in unfamiliar territory. Hard to know what to suggest that all can handle.

It would be a pain but maybe the easiest thing to do would be to keep saying 'no' if there is going to prompt ..or just upgrade.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It would be a pain but maybe the easiest thing to do would be to keep saying 'no' if there is going to prompt ..or just upgrade.
I can do that, keep saying No (story of my life)

I'm undecided ... 50/50 ... I can probably live without been online. It's a bit of an unnecessary indulgence for me.

Thanks for your help Mart and any others who chipped in on this thread.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 08:03 AM

I have two laptops, one of which has Windows 10 which I like
The older one has Windows 8.1 and has programs on it which will not run on Windows 10 like Micrografx Picture Publisher a brilliant picture editing program now sadly unavailable and one I just can't live without.
So there will never come a time when I want to change the OS to Windows 10 and lose this MPP prog forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top