Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Re: Windows 10 Question

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I can probably live without been online
I know someone who won't have a computer. He's a really happy, conversational and smiley sort of person. Maybe that says something.

I sometimes think about it too but it's been a part of life for about 18 years (had a computer for 20) and I'm sure it would be difficult to stay away from the Internet, at least to start with. Perhaps a bit inconvenient too because it's so handy when looking for information of all kinds. Essential stuff such as, 'How fast do fingernails grow?'

There are ways of using the Internet other than sticking with Windows. Macs - tablets - phones maybe. Also, when there are discussions about Windows, someone will usually mention a system that they reckon is good. Well, I'm not going to do that but here's a link to a previous post that does...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...338#post755338

Then again, the technicalities of switching the system would likely be the problem.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I have two laptops, one of which has Windows 10 which I like
The older one has Windows 8.1 and has programs on it which will not run on Windows 10 like Micrografx Picture Publisher a brilliant picture editing program now sadly unavailable and one I just can't live without.
So there will never come a time when I want to change the OS to Windows 10 and lose this MPP prog forever.
Have you tried Google's free Picasa program? It is very good, very easy to use, works with WIN10 and the right price. I am not familiar with the one you mention so I am not sure what features you like about it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Have you tried Google's free Picasa program? It is very good, very easy to use, works with WIN10 and the right price. I am not familiar with the one you mention so I am not sure what features you like about it.
G'day Bruce and thanks .. the Micrografx program is the best and is on a par with Photoshop which I also have on both my machines as well as Paint.net another excellent free program for picture editing.
Micrografx I have had for the last 15 years or so and am very familiar with all the features of this sophisticated software and I would hate to lose it .... It would be like losing a good friend !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
G'day Bruce and thanks .. the Micrografx program is the best and is on a par with Photoshop which I also have on both my machines as well as Paint.net another excellent free program for picture editing.
Micrografx I have had for the last 15 years or so and am very familiar with all the features of this sophisticated software and I would hate to lose it .... It would be like losing a good friend !
I see, I suppose it depends on what you do with your photos Picasa has a lot of features but for more sophisticated editing possibly GIMP might be more suitable - it is another free program (Have a look on Youtube for tutorial videos to give you an idea) GIMP is very powerful Most things I do can be done in Picasa but occasionally GIMP is needed.

It just seems a pity to be stuck on an OS because of an old program.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

It just seems a pity to be stuck on an OS because of an old program.
Yes I agree but I also use it for creating pictures, like logos for webpages etc......and I hate throwing things away too, sad I know
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 11:09 AM

My brother was in Desktop Publishing many years ago and he used Micrografx. Development of the program stopped didn't it? I think that was the reason he switched to CorelDraw, another vector drawing program.

When I got a computer, I used CorelDraw (version 4) because it seemed the vector program to use. Very expensive now but I still sometimes play with the more affordable current Home and Student version.

I now mostly use 'Xara Photo and Graphics Designer' for vector drawing and some photo editing, a dual-purpose program. Easier to use than CorelDraw I'd say and good for creating flyers, logos and other images that need to remain resizeable without loss of quality (sizing up or down).

Inkscape's free vector drawing program is good for that too. An open source (Linux) program but there is a Windows version that works on W.10. Not so easy to use initially but very capable once some of the features have been discovered and got used to.

Even though understandably reluctant to leave Micrografx behind, there are some good alternatives around if you decide to upgrade the OS. I don't know if you have looked into or tried any of the ones mentioned?

Edit: I should give Serif DrawPlus mention too. Another good vector drawing program for logos and more.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

06-02-2016, 11:14 AM

Thanks for that Mart but as I have already said

the Micrografx program is the best and is on a par with Photoshop which I also have on both my machines as well as Paint.net another excellent free program for picture editing.
More a question of old dogs and new tricks I fear !
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-02-2016, 11:23 AM

OK Malcolm, understood. It's just that I have been interested in images and image creation programs beyond solely editing photos. As such, I can't stop myself from writing about them when the subject comes up.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

06-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
OK Malcolm, understood. It's just that I have been interested in images and image creation programs beyond solely editing photos. As such, I can't stop myself from writing about them when the subject comes up.
I am always very grateful for your input mart, you have helped me on more than one occasion and what you don't know about computers etc. just aint worth knowin'

mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Thanks Malcolm. I don't know that much, it's just that what I do know about I've experienced personally, or got into trouble and learned from having to dig myself out of a hole. Others here know more than I do.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top