Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Re: Cortana

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Thank you Mart for the explanation. Maybe she can tell me the winning lotto numbers.
Don't bother with it CC.
I tried it and and the thing is a pain in the rear end!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Cortana is, for most users, an unnecessary, and intrusive addition to the Windows operating system - many users, including myself, have turned it OFF.

For advice on turning Cortana OFF and other privacy related issues, read this:

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-1...lly-1722267229

Feel free to come back with any questions .....
Thanks for that Omah. I will take another look at that link when I have a spare few hours!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Don't bother with it CC.
I tried it and and the thing is a pain in the rear end!

Thanks Kenny. Did you disable it ?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Thanks Kenny. Did you disable it ?
YES.
But I think it is a Woman who does the talking in Cortana, so as usual, she doesn't shut up easily!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanks for that Omah. I will take another look at that link when I have a spare few hours!
OK, it's worth reading, and indeed acting upon, otherwise Microsoft is invading your privacy .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Cortana is, for most users, an unnecessary, and intrusive addition to the Windows operating system - many users, including myself, have turned it OFF.

For advice on turning Cortana OFF and other privacy related issues, read this:

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-1...lly-1722267229

Feel free to come back with any questions .....
That's a good article Omah. I like the way it doesn't actually tell readers what to do but lays out the pros and cons of the settings. Although recommendations are made for some settings, readers aren't actually told to do anything. An approach I favour.

I find the comments following these articles are often just as interesting as the article itself.

Regarding Cortana, I think many people will find it has an initial novelty value but will then probably end up turning it off once it has been used for a while. Even if not for privacy reasons, then the one BC has mentioned.

To be honest, I'm unsure about the privacy issues with Microsoft. I realise many take exception to data being gathered on principle, or feel that it is actually harmful ..and that's fair enough.

However, I read that Windows 10 is now installed on 200 million systems and probably rising. Are Microsoft going to pick on me (one in 200 million) and take a look at the way I'm using the computer?

Is it more likely is that they are using everyone's data collectively to see what programs are being used, if they cause any problems and if people are experiencing any bugs? The monitoring perhaps all goes into a big statistical database for analysis for the purposes of problem fixes and future updates.

What does everyone think?
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 10:03 PM

I sometimes use Cortana ..ask her to tell you a joke ..corny but funny ???
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 11:59 PM

Having recently bought a new laptop running Windows 10, I have been looking at the Cortana facility and can't honestly say I'm impressed.

As far as I can tell, it bears some resemblance to the 'Search' facility in Windows 7 (no idea what's in Windows 8, as I wouldn't give it house room), with the difference that it tries to locate things on your computer and also on the internet, especially if it can't find what you want on your computer.

Personally, I see no advantage in this.

In Windows 7, I could search my computer for files, etc., and if I wanted to find something on the internet I'd use Google.

I'd much prefer a simple 'Search' facility as before. Perhaps you can set Cortana to do this, but I'm afraid I don't know how.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2016, 12:20 AM

Nowhere near as good as Google voice search on Android phones or even Siri on iPhones both of which have superior voice recognition and function.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top