Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2016, 04:33 PM

Re: Ambulance/fire engine

I saw some stats the other day about the huge reduction in house fires etc together with the increased role of fire and rescue personnel in both rescuing people in road accidents and, sadly, in helping transport the ultra-obese.

There appears to be a crossover in roles, so I suppose some merging of operations seems logical. Dual-purpose vehicles? Dunno. Would need to see them. Presumably not monster sized fire engines with turntable ladders and things with a mini ER inside, nor ambulances with water bowsers, but some dual purpose medium-sized vehicles, with multi-skilled staff - could be?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2016, 04:37 PM

I'll try to post news link later, it was on BBC West Country news.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Just heard on the local news that our region (south west) are getting vehicles which are both ambulances and fire engines!
I have this mental image of firemen trying to put fires out while the patients are being rushed off to hospital, firemen being dragged along whilst clutching hoses!
On the other hand the patient being told to hang on while the fire is being put out!

Do you think this will work?
When I was in America their rescue vehicles have the statement on them "Fire and rescue" they go not only fires but all accidents to help the victims of car accidents, heart attacks and such as are ambulance service covers.

First time I saw this my reaction was as you stated but thinking about it might be a better system.

One Emergance service combined in America in England we have two.

Maybe if we had this system in the UK are Fire fighters might be more respected
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Not available yet on BBC Points West on line.
Old Dog
Suffolk
Old Dog is male  Old Dog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2016, 10:02 PM

Given the amount of time the average fireman spends just sitting around waiting for a shout, I'm surprised its taken this long to make use of all the spare time. All firemen already get some medical training so it seems logical to extend that and utilise this resource.

Obviously fire shouts will take priority and fire cover will be maintained, just makes sense to use spare resources instead of them sitting idle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top