Join for free
Page 11 of 17 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 08:43 AM

Re: The Polish and Others are leaving.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
There were bin men and people working in livestock factories when we were young, but in those days you had to be clever to get into university. Many kids who go there now, wouldn't have got over the university doorstep in our day.
How very true. I have encountered many students these days who are far from being the educated people one expects to see at university. I'm talking about basic literacy and numeracy. My wife brings home students' work for marking and some of them comprise written work littered with very basic errors, and these are not arty-farty 'meeja studies' students.

The fault lies with primary and secondary education which, as I'm sure we all know, has become deplorably bad no doubt due to political interference and social decline.

Then there was that idiotic decision to aim to have 50% of all school leavers going to university. I wonder who it was who had that bright idea! All it has achieved is to have dumbed down our education in general and we can all see the consequences.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Does it really matter though?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Does it really matter though?
Yes it does Muddy because , if we teach children that they are better than they really are, they have higher expectations in life.
Most decent jobs now require Uni qualifications but, if those qualifications don't give an accurate assessment of what they are able to do, it will reduce the standard of work they produce....but they still want to be paid the same wage as those who did work hard to achieve a good job.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 09:10 AM

I meant spelling mistakes .
If a person is a brilliant innovative scientist doesn't it matter if his spelling is not 100%
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 09:27 AM

If a person is a brilliant innovative scientist doesn't it matter if his spelling is not 100%
How seriously would you react to a letter with spelling mistakes? I understand that not all jobs require perfect spelling but it is part of the basic 3 Rs, so it is down to the employer to make sure the candidate is up to the job they are applying for.... not some pathetic printed degree that often means very little.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Yes it does Muddy because , if we teach children that they are better than they really are, they have higher expectations in life.
Most decent jobs now require Uni qualifications but, if those qualifications don't give an accurate assessment of what they are able to do, it will reduce the standard of work they produce....but they still want to be paid the same wage as those who did work hard to achieve a good job.
Exactly.

As part of Blair's 'dumbing down' policy, 'A' level grades are now regarded by many employers and universities as unreliable and unrepresentative.

Many of these establishments are now putting in place their own systems through which they can more accurately determine applicants' abilities.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2017, 09:30 AM

In the advert for an apprentice slaughtermen the requirements were GCSE maths and English.
This will exclude quite a lot of the population .
If a low paid unpleasant job like this requires qualifications what hope is there are those who have none at all but in the past actually did jobs ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-05-2017, 09:36 AM

I think it does.

It depends on the job, of course, but many rely on effective and accurate communication. Poor spelling, grammar and punctuation can result in misunderstandings. Have a look at that book 'Eats, shoots and leaves' and you'll see some good examples.

Another consideration is that if you receive a communication littered with such mistakes you could be excused for wondering whether, if the author is sufficiently careless to have made those mistakes, it is possible that they may be careless in other respects.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 09:52 AM

I think good english, including spelling and punctuation, is vitally important particularly in any commercial or legal sense, where a comma in the wrong place for instance can give a completely different meaning to a sentence. The worst thing that has happened to the english language in recent years has been the lesser importance placed on it in schools and text speak.

For example: A woman without her man is nothing.
Or: A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Punctuation is absolute key to meaning.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 10:06 AM

In the advert for an apprentice slaughtermen the requirements were GCSE maths and English.
This will exclude quite a lot of the population .
If a low paid unpleasant job like this requires qualifications what hope is there are those who have none at all but in the past actually did jobs ?
Hi

Muddy, the example you quoted was Poultec, so a Poultry Slaughterhouse.

No great brains or skill required for that.

Almost completely automated.

The example I quoted was ABP, North Shrewsbury, high unemployment amongst local youths, but over 90% EU Immigrants.

Agency workers at first, Minimum Wage

After six months, on the payroll if you perform, and double your money.

£30k a year is not to be sniffed at, particularly with house prices being so low locally.

Page 11 of 17 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top