Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Re: Avocado - recipes please!

Glad you enjoyed it Annie, and the inspiration it gave you to try another sweet idea.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by valice ->
Glad you enjoyed it Annie, and the inspiration it gave you to try another sweet idea.
Thanks for getting me started Val - after only trying guacamole I had no idea avocado would go with anything sweet.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 10:43 AM

I like mine simple - cut in half, remove the seed and fill the halves with french dressing. Eat with a spoon! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Haven't tried it with maple syrup yet. I'll add French dressing to my list, thanks. :P
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

18-04-2013, 09:14 PM

This morning I mashed up avocado with cocoa powder, topped with sliced banana as usual, but left out the honey. Instead, I drizzled real maple syrup over it all, and sprinkled with granola. Mmmmmmmm!
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

30-08-2013, 06:21 PM

There is only one way to eat avocado,get a loaf of Italian bread slice it thick,toast it, then spread a thick layer of pure salted butter, then spread your avocado on it,really thick,a bit of salt, lots of pepper then eat it! yummo!

Billy
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Yep, the perfect recipe - Pick up avocado, open lid to rubbish bin, deposit avocado inside. Go to shop buy a rock melon, a mango, a nectarine, jackfruit, dragon fruit, even a guava, in fact any fruit is better.

My first taste of one was when I worked at the PO Tower in London and Billy Butlin ran the revolving restaurant - one of the waiters taking a tray of them upstairs gave me one. I was singularly unimpressed

Actually I have an avocado tree in a pot in my garden (they are easy to propagate from the seed) but a very over rated fruit in my opinion.
Ha ha ha

I live in so cal and we ship the rock hard ones to you!
You obviously do not know how to use them. My mom put them in salads when I was a kid. I did not have guacamole until I was in my early twenties. Before that we had in in soups- salads, on sandwiches and hamburgers, with Mexican food. Mexican restaurants did not offer guacamole until the late 70s early 80s, at least most of them didn't.
When I worked at Gelson's grocery store as a teener I 'd have one for lunch with a lemon and salt and a tomato with it.
There's many ways to make guacamole or different types of avocado salsa.
Avocados are usually a savory type of thing but they can go with fruit. They go in fruit salads, like with mangos, papayas, pineapples, citrus.
You have to know how to ripen an avocado. Here in so cal they always have ripe ones and hard ones at the store. You store the hard ones for tomorrow or the next day. If they are ripe you can put them in the reefer.
There are also different kinds of avocados, some are less oily. I like the oily kind.
I would not expect English people or Scotts, Irish whatever UK people to like avocado. I can't imagine how you would get a good one unless they air freighted them. Immigrants from the UK come to like them here or in Mexico. I can see the French liking them.
If you want recipes, google it. In the guacamole I make there's plenty of garlic, peeled tomatoes, green onions and a little cilantro. Squeeze in plenty of lemon juice and put in a couple of chilies of some kind, it needs salt. I kind of chop it up in a stainless bowl but mashing and stirring is fine.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 12:47 AM

Annie Jack, I'm going to try the almond milk (I don't have any now), cocoa and banana deal, soon. And I've never thought of avocado as breakfast food. New one on me. Mom did 'stuffed' avocados pretty often, plopping stuff in the seed hole sweet or savory.
I guess I was wrong about avos and the UK. Aus. makes sense and I imagine they've been there for a while.
Maple syrup on an avocado sounds wrong.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top