Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 02:10 PM

What would you do ?

I have my dog who is 15 and getting a bit doddery ... Plus I have doggy 10 who is a foster dog but im planning on keeping him. Trouble is he is very unsure of him self never had much affection and really craves for it , sitting next to me all the time and blocking the other dog and cat from getting near me . If I try to cuddle my other dog his little face gets all worried and he barges in , he is not agressive at all but very pushy about being in the front of the cue for cuddles. Now should I let him get away with it and hope he will learn there are enough cuddles to go around or try to be firm and stop him. You cant be to hard on him as he scares easy. Its fine when hubby is home as Boo then gets her fair share ... but on my own I worry my old dog is going to feel left out. What do you think ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Re: What would you do ?

I think both dogs need a little alone time with you each day and if possible use both arms and cuddle them both, we have this at the moment with new puppy Betty and our old girlie Mollie, both need time alone and I manage to cuddle them both at the same time.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 02:49 PM

I think I would try to ignore the 10 year old a bit, but don't exclude him, just turn away from hism when he pesters. You are the one who calls the shots and "needy" dogs never think they have enough attention and they can become manipulative (more than dogs usually are ). If he thinks he has you on his side he may try to keep the old dog out alltogether. Keep both included, but don't favour him over the older dog. What you say goes and if he becomes too pushy get him to move aside a bit and wait. I imagine the older dog sleeps quite a lot anyway, so it is likely the 10 year old gets more than his share of your attention.
Nobaggage
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 02:54 PM

One or the other of them is normally by my side on the sofa or being cuddled its differcult to shut one out of the room while the other is with me .... I think WW3 would break out. I try to sit between them on the sofa so both has a hand but doggy wants to be the one in the middle all the time ... I think the more time he spends with us the more relaxed about it he is becoming so Im hoping that by ignoring his behaviour is the best way forward and he will stop when he trust me more.
Nobaggage

23-02-2013, 03:01 PM

She may be 15 but as alert as a pup ...when she wants to be . Its just her back legs that give her away.... But Yes I do do as you said .I stop him everytime from getting in the middle but he is a persistant perisher .... I just dont want he to feel pushed away as you can tell he has spent his 10 years being pushed away ... Its a thin line trying to let him know he is loved but not let him be to pushy....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 06:44 PM

My old Maggie was like that, Me Me Me all the time. I made her stop it by refusing to pet her when she pushed in, she had to be invited and she learned, but she glowered when the others were getting their turn.
Nobaggage

23-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Mine is like a stroppy teenager... throws himself on the floor and sulks huffing and puffing my guilt trip blows each time ...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Mine is like a stroppy teenager... throws himself on the floor and sulks huffing and puffing my guilt trip blows each time ...
Oh Dear Ha Ha Ha, it's all an Act....you need to toughen up a bit, walk away from him to another room.
Nobaggage

23-02-2013, 07:05 PM

If it was my dog I would as I know her well and she knows me but this poor foster lad has had a very hard time ... so trying to get him to trust me as well as being firm ...is differcult ...you just look at his little sad face ...as he limps away all dejected is too much for me to bear ....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 09:28 PM

How long have you had him nobaggage ? Do you know much about his past ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top