Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Zero Hours Contracts.

I read in today's paper that it is estimated that about 1 million people are employed on a zero hours contract - meaning that they are employed just as and when required with no guaranteed wages, no sick pay and no holiday pay. This is harping back to the 1930s when dockers were employed like this. I think it's time this was banned, what do you think ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Re: Zero Hours Contracts.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I read in today's paper that it is estimated that about 1 million people are employed on a zero hours contract - meaning that they are employed just as and when required with no guaranteed wages, no sick pay and no holiday pay. This is harping back to the 1930s when dockers were employed like this. I think it's time this was banned, what do you think ?
BIB: that's what popped into my head when I read about this.

I agree - it is time it was stopped and while they're at it, they can stop the minimum wage becoming the standard wage for many people. I get the point that wages/salaries need to be driven down to make us more competitive with the rest of the world but the rest of our economy needs to reflect that fall in income. Offering zero hours is ridiculous - it will just lead to more and more people getting into financial difficulties and, I daresay, a rise in the suicide rate.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 08:43 AM

I fully concur too!!!

This bloody Tory/ConDem Government are playing 'beggar my neighbour' with our economy and driving us all steadily into poverty, whilst they increase their profits by paying less and less tax or avoiding it altogether - despicable!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Couldn't agree more with everyone in this thread.

My husband is paid a flat salary. This year it has meant his wages have dipped below NMW as they have increased his hours and still pay the same wages.

There are several ways employers are sneakily getting away with paying less.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Not all Zero Hours contracts are a bad thing. It can enable a person who can't commit to permanent hours to do some work.

I would say 'bank working' falls into the category of Zero Hours contracts. Places like nursing homes survive with the use of 'bank workers', they have to be fully staffed at all times and 'the bank' enables them to have a list of prospective auxiliary nurses who can go in at short notice to cover for staff sickness and time off.

They could have a list of people who have no fixed hours and are paid a retainer but this would be a very expensive option putting up the cost of care.

I found Zero hours contracts invaluable.
My last 'proper job' in a boarding school had a number of set hours each week and in addition to these I had the opportunity to work extra hours covering staff time off. I was free for most of the school holidays.
I also did flexible voluntary work.
This meant I had some spare working time so I signed up with a Nursing Agency 'bank' working nights as and when I was availible . I was offered work and if I wasn't free I could turn it down, I had a 'no hours contract'.

As a widowed mother this kind of flexible working enabled me save up to help fund my son through university.
It provides many people with the chance to supplement a low income .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:58 AM

You have a valid point there Meg but volunteering to work under those conditions and being forced to do so are different circumstances.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
You have a valid point there Meg but volunteering to work under those conditions and being forced to do so are different circumstances.
Not sure where 'volunteering' comes into Alan
I met many women like myself who were single and struggling to bring up children on low paid work and supplemented their income with bank working.

Get rid of the Zero Hours contracts and the care industry will collapse.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I met many women like myself who were single and struggling to bring up children on low paid work and supplemented their income with bank working.
Supplementing income is also different than relying entirely on a zero hours contract I would imagine.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Get rid of the Zero Hours contracts and the care industry will collapse.
Surely the zero hours contract also works the other way too: the employer can just tell you they don't need you until further notice; not sure how people can benefit with no income from that policy to be honest.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Supplementing income is also different than relying entirely on a zero hours contract I would imagine.
Julie I could no doubt have sat at home claiming lots of benefits instead of working for a low wage and supplementing my income with bank work , I am sure I would have had a bigger income that way. I prefered to support myself and my son in any way I could , if that meant working night and day which I did that was ok by me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top