Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 10:54 PM

Re: Possession aggression

continued..
I will post an article for you by the Association of Pet Dog Trainers which explains how to habituate a dog to sharing using positive reinforcement methods.
Teaching your dog to relinquish an item can be useful and may even lessen his desire to guard a little but it will not change the existing situation between your dogs.

http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/...ceguarding.pdf
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Great replies... We are always very careful with food and feed the two little dogs separately from Pete and Izzy.. Then we have to make sure Pete doesn't try to eat Izzy's food. Chew bones of any kind have been very carefully monitored.. They are only allowed those with us closely supervising.. as they all think everyone elses chew bone is better than the one they have. When chew time is over.. the bones are picked up and stored away untill the next chew session. I have to admit we have been somewhat careless with toys.. Since we got the new puppy Murphy, we have had toys laying around quite often. This will no longer be the case.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:23 AM

It must have been a terrifying experience for your little Shitzu. I know I would be terrified of ever having the two dogs near each other ever again, but that's me. I don't think I see it any differently to dogs that suddenly 'turn', for want of a better expression, and kill their owners or children, as we have been seeing so much of recently. I'm afraid I would never trust the dog again. Perhaps your vet could recommend a dog behavioural therapist, it could be well worth trying.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
We had a pretty bad experience last night. Out of the blue, our Australian Shepard, Pete attacked our little Shih Tsu Monroe.. I
I've never heard of an Australian Shepard, is that a Blue Heeler?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I've never heard of an Australian Shepard, is that a Blue Heeler?
NO.. Actually, it's not even Australian. The breed was developed in the American west as a cattle dog. I have no idea why it was given that name.. They have also been called the "ghost dog" because many have light blue eyes.

My Pete on the otherhand has some Beagle in him.. so he looks more like this. He weights about 60 pounds..

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Beautiful dogs Audrey !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=AudreyII;379676]NO.. Actually, it's not even Australian. The breed was developed in the American west as a cattle dog. I have no idea why it was given that name.. They have also been called the "ghost dog" because many have light blue eyes. [QUOTE]

Funny that, the Weimaraners are called "ghost dogs" too, here Audrey.
Over here, we have the Australian Shepherd dog, plus an Australian Cattle Dog (short coats) and an Australian Kelpie, as 3 different breeds. I much prefer the look of the fluffy shepherd coats like yours though.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 12:59 AM

I would never, ever trust a dog that turned viciously on another dog, it is showing dominance and is likely to show the same within a family.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Dog on dog aggression is not the same as dog on human aggression. Dogs will fall out over toys and food between themselves and happily give them up to a human.

I have had DA dogs who loved people and people aggressive dogs that loved other dogs. Totally different things.
AudreyII
USA

21-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Dog on dog aggression is not the same as dog on human aggression. Dogs will fall out over toys and food between themselves and happily give them up to a human.

I have had DA dogs who loved people and people aggressive dogs that loved other dogs. Totally different things.
Absolutely.. Pete is completely docile with my hubby and I. He is also loving toward my other pets.. especially my little Shorkie Murphy.. and lets him climb all over him and nibble at him.. However.. we must be very careful if toys and food are involved. He will protect them against other dogs. Hubby and I can take food out of his mouth and he relinquishes it easily. Pete is NOT a vicious animal. He is possession aggressive with dogs. It appears that that is nearly impossible to remedy... so hubby and I must be VERY vigilent to supervise meals and playtime.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top