Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:18 PM

A neuter question

I have a 6 month old Shorkie named Murphy. (ShihTzu/Yorkie mix) He's tiny. right now he weights about 6 pounds. The Vet says that he can be neutered now. He also wants to remove a few baby teeth to allow this adult Canines to come in. However, I am leaning toward waiting until he reaches his full adult size and muscle mass before having him neutered. I understand that males that are neuetered before puberty tend to be taller, because the growth plates are not allowed to fuse normally with the help of testosterone.. and tend to be less sturdy muscle and bone wise. Am I off base in my thinking? Is it better to wait until a year old before surgery? He's so little that I want to give him a chance to bulk up first. OR is it better to listen to the Vet and do it now? I think the Vet just needs some Christmas money...lol! Opinions?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Re: A neuter question

What sort of character is he ? We had a little yorkie who was nervous and stupidly we had him neutered which was worse thing we could have done for him. I don't have an answer to the wait or not just experience of neutering a nervous dog that made him incredibly nervous aggressive for the rest of his life.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:31 PM

On the advice of my vet, my youngest dog was left until after he was 12 months old (in fact, he was nearly two before I had him done). His personality didn't change but he did become prone to weight gain for some reason after the snip.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What sort of character is he ? We had a little yorkie who was nervous and stupidly we had him neutered which was worse thing we could have done for him. I don't have an answer to the wait or not just experience of neutering a nervous dog that made him incredibly nervous aggressive for the rest of his life.
Right now he's a goofy wackadoodle.. Crazy.. runs around with boundless energy, terrorizing the other dogs. I chalk that up to his puppyhood. My Shihtzu is the most calm laid back dog you can imagine.. and he was neutered at 2 years. He's a rock solid stocky muscle man.. not fat. I know that yorkies are crazy anyway. I was hoping the ShihTzu half would tame it.
AudreyII
USA

21-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
On the advice of my vet, my youngest dog was left until after he was 12 months old (in fact, he was nearly two before I had him done). His personality didn't change but he did become prone to weight gain for some reason after the snip.
My ShihTzu Monroe was an intact rescue guestimated to be about 2 years old. He pee'd all over the place.. lifting his leg incessantly on walls and furniture. Once snipped.. that stopped.. so that was a plus.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 04:29 PM

My "shorkie" Floyd hasn't been neutered, never had any trouble with him in any way.
AudreyII
USA

21-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
My "shorkie" Floyd hasn't been neutered, never had any trouble with him in any way.
I'm curious... not being snarky.... why did you opt to not have him neutered. Is there a health value? Is the risk of testicular cancer something to consider?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 10:40 AM

I would wait a few more months with him and see how he goes. Normally with dogs they are neutered to stop aggressive behaviour and a waywardness that some can have. Your boy sounds as though he is just a puppy which he will be for about 18months.
If the Vet is saying he should be neutered now is he saying it to stop
him breeding or another reason. I would ask why there is a big rush.
Lots of neutered dogs and cats do put on weight as they get older.,
My big cat weighs 21lbs and is massive even though I had him spayed
at 6months old. It didn't make him a small cat, he is bigger than a lot
of dogs. That's not just his girth either.
Hope everything goes well for him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I'm curious... not being snarky.... why did you opt to not have him neutered. Is there a health value? Is the risk of testicular cancer something to consider?

Hi Audrey, To my knowledge, they are only more likely to get testicular cancer if they have a retained testicle, because the retained one is being kept at an inappropriate temperature inside the body, they need to be cooler, hence outside normally. Of course they are always exceptions!
A long time ago I considered having an ex stud male neutered, but my vet explained it would be pointless at his age because his behaviour was now well "learned". It might make him incapable of doing the deed, but it wouldn't wipe out his memory and stop him trying! He believed it was best to have the males done before they learn about "the birds and the bees".
Personally, I wouldn't have a boy done nowadays, unless he had a health problem, or unless I also kept unspayed bitches, because then its not fair to him.
Hope that helps.
AudreyII
USA

22-11-2013, 01:15 PM

In the States.. Neutering and spaying does not seem to be just an option. It's just about mandated.. Not by law mind you.. but by custom. Unless a person is going to breed a specific breed of dog.... you have them neutered or spayed. There is a huge campaign against unintended breeding of animals. Dogs AND cats.. It's more or less espected. There are millions of stray and abused animals. Everyone here spays or neuters their pets. Those that opt not to are in the minority. To be honest.. I never considered NOT having Murphy neutered... WHEN was the only variable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top