Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Re: Izzy's spells

You're right about cats and Aspirin Bruce, and its not advised for very small breeds of dog or puppy either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I don't know.. It might have been a TIA. I never considered that. TIA= transient ischemic attack= mini stroke. It's quite possible I guess. In which case nothing would show up an CT scans as the event is transient and goes away before damage is done, with full recovery of function. yes.. perhaps the eye squinting is a visual disturbance not photophobia. Good thinking Mups

Do his pupils "flicker" or remain steady?
I really think your vet should investigate further Audrey, although I realise TIA's are not easy to diagnose.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Isn't aspirin toxic for cats and dogs? Definitely is for cats but I thought it was for dogs too.

no..But it can be hard on the stomach.. so I give Bufferin
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're right about cats and Aspirin Bruce, and its not advised for very small breeds of dog or puppy either.
Correct.. Izzy is 75 pounds and gets only one regular asa.
AudreyII
USA

05-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do his pupils "flicker" or remain steady?
I really think your vet should investigate further Audrey, although I realise TIA's are not easy to diagnose.
No.. no flickering. just squinting. Today.. she is just fine.
AudreyII
USA

05-12-2013, 01:20 PM

I agree that aspirin shouldn't be given willy nilly for everytime a dog doesn't seem well.. However, when a dog is in obvious pain, and most people know their dogs signs and behavior, it is, IMO important to address it. Heres a chart I found regarding dosages for dogs by weight

8 pounds 1/2 baby aspirin or less 40 mg
16 pounds 1 baby aspirin 80 mg
32 pounds 1/2 adult or 2 baby 160 mg
48 pounds 3/4 adult or 3 baby 240 mg
64 pounds 1 adult or 4 baby 320 mg
80 pounds 1 1/4 adult or 5 baby 400 mg
96 pounds 1 1/2 adult or 6 baby 480 mg

As I said.. Izzy at 75 pounds takes one adult tablet. As an RN I began thinking about aspirin. It's NOT a benign thing at all.. In fact ASA is quite a miraculous drug. It has pain and fever relieving properties. It is an anti-inflamatory.. AND it is a strong platelet anti-aggregatory drug.. It stops blood from clotting.... If Izzy were having an ischemic or embolic stroke.. it could be helpful. IF, on the otherhand, it was a hemorrhagic stroke.. it wouldn't be a very good thing. I didn't think of stroke at the time. She had no motor deficits, but I know that those are not always present.. usually they are, but not always. All I could think of was relieving her obvious pain. which I STILL think was a headache.

I have rimadyl on hand as my late Beagle Homer took it for arthritis flares. It's a good anti-inflamatory, but it doesn't have all the properties asa does. For what it's worth.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 05:35 AM

I'm sure that dogs can get headaches. One of my Old English Pashka used to I'm sure, like yours she'd look for a cool dark place...usually under the bed or the coat cupboard in the hall. I always found her forehead was boiling hot if I rested my hand on it, the heat coming from behind her eyes was terrific. After a quiet sleep and she came out, her head heat had gone but she was always hangy for a couple of hours.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top