Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Re: When is a mongrel not a mongrel?

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We have two mongrels which are a Cocker Spaniel and Miniature Poodle cross and are known as Cockerpoos. Personally I am pleased that there is a current fad for mixing recognised breeds as it makes the individual dogs much healthier by increasing the gene pool.

For too many years snobbish breeders have been weakening purebreeds by trying to maintain too narrow a gene pool to maintain "purity" in the breed, and too many dogs have been born with inherent health problems as a result.

Long live diversity I say....
Yes sadly I agree with you, decent breeders won't I guess as they are as I said decent but the ones who allow the bad breeding practices are the ones to be stopped.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Cross breed: shihtzu x yorkie Fluffy Boy Floyd, my best friend, not a mongrel

Couldn't be cuter!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Julie, forgive me, but I'm a bit confused. I had the impression that you struggle to make ends meet a lot of the time. But you spent £500 on a dog?

No criticism intended, but it just made me wonder why, when rescue dogs are so much cheaper.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
The thing is, when the parents are two different breeds then the dog is obviously a 'cross' , my point was when the grandparents are of four different breeds(and sometimes somewhere one of those may even have another breed in there) then surely the offspring should not be advertised and sold in the same way as a pure or simple first generation cross is. I can assure you that the prices I have quoted are genuine.
Wouldn't touch those prices with a barge pole Daisymay. The trouble is so many people have jumped on the band waggonare and are crossing totally unsuitable dogs together now because they can get alot of money from doing it. Personally, I wouldn't pay these ridiculous fees because it encourages them to breed more and more and believe me, some of the bitches are mated every single season without a rest - for money.
A first cross is a pup who's parents were two pedigrees but of different breeds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We have two mongrels which are a Cocker Spaniel and Miniature Poodle cross and are known as Cockerpoos. Personally I am pleased that there is a current fad for mixing recognised breeds as it makes the individual dogs much healthier by increasing the gene pool.

For too many years snobbish breeders have been weakening purebreeds by trying to maintain too narrow a gene pool to maintain "purity" in the breed, and too many dogs have been born with inherent health problems as a result.

Long live diversity I say....
In my opinion Plantman you are only partially right. Just because a dog is from 2 mixed breed parents, is no guarantee of health unfortunately. If each parent has had the correct health tests for the breed and passed with flying colours you stand a better chance, but many of the "puppy farm" type breeders (or people who just want a quick buck) don't do it like that, either because the cost of testing eats into their profits or because they haven't got a clue about testing anyway.
If you have an unhealthy pedigree dog and mate it to another untested pedigree and they both have the genetic problems for their breed - it's a minefield. Ask to see the parents health test results. They shouldn't be charging top prices without bothering.
Also, whether its a cross, mongrel, or pedigree isn't as important as ensuring the litter is home reared in clean surroundings, properly weaned, and - very important - the mother is of sound nature and seen with the offspring. I say meet the mother because this because many "traders" just buy in litters, haven't got the mother, and the pups have probably been transported a long distance and are often poorly.
Sorry to go on, but I get really wound up about cruel breeders, and I wish more could be done to stop them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-08-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
In my opinion Plantman you are only partially right. Just because a dog is from 2 mixed breed parents, is no guarantee of health unfortunately. If each parent has had the correct health tests for the breed and passed with flying colours you stand a better chance, but many of the "puppy farm" type breeders (or people who just want a quick buck) don't do it like that, either because the cost of testing eats into their profits or because they haven't got a clue about testing anyway.
If you have an unhealthy pedigree dog and mate it to another untested pedigree and they both have the genetic problems for their breed - it's a minefield. Ask to see the parents health test results. They shouldn't be charging top prices without bothering.
Also, whether its a cross, mongrel, or pedigree isn't as important as ensuring the litter is home reared in clean surroundings, properly weaned, and - very important - the mother is of sound nature and seen with the offspring. I say meet the mother because this because many "traders" just buy in litters, haven't got the mother, and the pups have probably been transported a long distance and are often poorly.
Sorry to go on, but I get really wound up about cruel breeders, and I wish more could be done to stop them.
P.S. I do agree that inbreeding of some pedigree dogs has caused many health problems though. Some breeders seem to care more about looks than health. (Now I shall probably get shot by someone)!!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Unfortunately there is a lot of money to made these days in 'designer dogs'!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Julie, forgive me, but I'm a bit confused. I had the impression that you struggle to make ends meet a lot of the time. But you spent £500 on a dog?

No criticism intended, but it just made me wonder why, when rescue dogs are so much cheaper.
Because we couldn't get a rescue we tried, they won't round here rescue to flats, the last rescue we used we got our old Duncan from and he cost us £100 plus the trip up the country to other side of Birmingham, plus well let's just say he cost a heck of a lot over the years in vet fees as he was not healthy at all and that was why I believe he was up for adoption.

The £500 we paid for Betty I was given as a present by my nephews as they could see how unhappy Mollie dog was without her life time companion Duncan and to help their poor old Aunt stop crying all the time because she has lost her little boy. They both worked hard to get that together for us, and yes we took it as losing Mollie was on the cards if we couldn't have stopped her grieving so heavily.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Unfortunately there is a lot of money to made these days in 'designer dogs'!
That was one of the points I was trying to make, if these 'designer' (erstwhile known as mongrels) dogs did not command such ridiculous prices, there would be no reason for breeders to produce them.

A first cross, such as chihuahua cross pug for instance apparently results in a dog that looks like a pug ( which is what attracts my son) but without the breathing problems which today's overbred pugs usually have.

I have no idea what started this passion he has for one, he 'claims'they are 'cute'. Not what I would call cute I must say. Oh yes and he is 6'4" in stockinged feet , can you imagine??
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Because we couldn't get a rescue we tried, they won't round here rescue to flats, the last rescue we used we got our old Duncan from and he cost us £100 plus the trip up the country to other side of Birmingham, plus well let's just say he cost a heck of a lot over the years in vet fees as he was not healthy at all and that was why I believe he was up for adoption.

The £500 we paid for Betty I was given as a present by my nephews as they could see how unhappy Mollie dog was without her life time companion Duncan and to help their poor old Aunt stop crying all the time because she has lost her little boy. They both worked hard to get that together for us, and yes we took it as losing Mollie was on the cards if we couldn't have stopped her grieving so heavily.
What a lovely thing for your nephews to have done for you. They obviously hold you in high regard.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top