Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 11:18 PM

Re: Rather a Lot Of Computers Being Bought!

What is What3words? There are a pommie narrowboat couple I watxh on YouTube and What3ords pops up in each of their videos.

What on earth is it?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What is What3words? There are a pommie narrowboat couple I watxh on YouTube and What3ords pops up in each of their videos.

What on earth is it?
Its a location finder app that pinpoints exactly where you are through the use of 3 random words assigned to your little 3 metre square of area. The words are permanent and do not change. All emergency services use it. Its like a postcode/gps location.

Here's a bit of blurb on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Heavens, this made me think and tot up what we have....I personally have 2 laptops (1 current, 1 old that I use as a back up) 1 tablet (android) 3 phones (2 old ones for music storage, and 1 iphone) 1 Alexa. Mr P has two work laptops and a work computer, with a work tablet coming imminently. That's quite horrific actually, I would never have me down as any kind of techy person!
Crazy, isn't it?
Our telly on it's own has more computing power than my first-ever computer!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:33 AM

Its a location finder app that pinpoints exactly where you are through the use of 3 random words assigned to your little 3 metre square of area. The words are permanent and do not change. All emergency services use it. Its like a postcode/gps location.

Here's a bit of blurb on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words
Thanks for that. I thought it might be a competition or word game, something along those lines but was way out. Can't quite grasp the point of it, I mean, what was wrong with Latitude and Longitude, a sat nav or just your phone? I will have to look into it more.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:44 AM

Thanks for that. I thought it might be a competition or word game, something along those lines but was way out. Can't quite grasp the point of it, I mean, what was wrong with Latitude and Longitude, a sat nav or just your phone? I will have to look into it more.
I think its just easier, and straightforward, Bruce....for the general public. I mean, if I was on a hill with a broken ankle, there would be no way I could recall the co-ordinates of Long & Lat, but I could say 3 words (in between crying in pain!) Some of the three words are quite funny and are no way connected to each other (pink, stipend, sew, for example), but there are quite unfortunate ones relating to war memorials, or religious buildings.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-05-2021, 08:56 AM

I think its just easier, and straightforward, Bruce....for the general public. I mean, if I was on a hill with a broken ankle, there would be no way I could recall the co-ordinates of Long & Lat, but I could say 3 words (in between crying in pain!) Some of the three words are quite funny and are no way connected to each other (pink, stipend, sew, for example), but there are quite unfortunate ones relating to war memorials, or religious buildings.
But how would you know which three words? If you have your phone to call for help then you have access to your exact location. That's the bit I don't get.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 10:05 AM

I am not surprised, how many computers per household?

I use two desktops but one is almost exclusively dedicated to downloading (it is old and slow). Then there are three laptops, this one I use for travelling in Australia, a netbook I used for overseas travel (probably not to be used again) and an old laptop I keep for visitors to use.

Finally I have couple of working 8" tablets that I use for emails, Ebay and the like. To be honest one should be in the bin but I like the 4:3 screen over the newer one's 16:9.

Not to mention my phone!

That is the world we live in, I doubt it is exceptional especially if you are younger and have kids.
One thing, not to be missed, in these large numbers of laptops, is that many of them are leased - so some leaser is buying new every 3 years, or so, to keep the customers happy.

The old ones are going somewhere, maybe for trashing.

That raises other thoughts!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought one of them.
Okay. Chapter and verse. Chromebook or laptop, and is it any good?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 04:13 PM

I was amused by a comment made many years ago by a computer `geek` when computers were first being developed for the mass market. He said that in years to come, there would be at least one computer in every street.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

04-05-2021, 04:22 PM

But how would you know which three words? If you have your phone to call for help then you have access to your exact location. That's the bit I don't get.
Ok, so you download the app from google play store, or the apple store (its free) and get it on your phone. You need your location switched on, via settings. What happens then, is that it picks up where you are and you see your three words for your location. Wherever you go, the three words will change because your location changes (and it covers such a small area - 3x3 sq metres). If you get stuck somewhere or lost, you call emergency services and say that you have the "what3words" app, and that your 3 words are...blah,blah,blah. They will input that to their devices and be able to pinpoint exactly where you are.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top