Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 07:55 PM

Re: Keeping harnesses on all day

Originally Posted by SallyS ->
Absolute poppycock, used correctly it's a great invention.
Sally I shall endeavour to grow into my newly earned status as a purveyor of poppycock. In the meantime I shall have to retain my view that when out with my dogs they have a variety of status, none of which involve having free reign on the end of a very long lead.

My dogs can run free providing they respond to my call or whistle. They can walk to heel. They can walk to heel on a short lead. They are also expected to sit and lay down when instructed and to drop any inappropriate objects they pick up, when told to.

Nowhere can I work in an extending lead that offers no serious control, and appears to be the lead of choice for people who have not trained their dogs properly.

I depart with my tin hat on, determined to reduce my poppycock, or maybe not

PS I of course make allowances for exceptional circumstances
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Whoever walks my dog on the extending lead keeps it locked until they reach the fields than she is able to run on it extended. She is only a small dog and walks beautifully to heel once on either lead.

She also rides on my mobility scooter (between my feet) with her leather lead wrapped around the controller, plus I also hold it, so it is kept very short, she cant go anywhere.
As you rightly say, most intelligent people know how to use an extending lead.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:26 PM

I think there are pros and cons for both collars and harnesses.
We use collars for our boys, but I think harnesses are a better choice for the small delicate breeds, as there's less risk of neck injury. Also, I've read that some breeds eyeballs can protrude from their sockets if there is too much pressure on the neck, and some that are prone to breathing difficulties do better on harnesses.
Then there are some bigger dogs that are big pullers that I have seen do a lot better with a harness, especially front-attaching harnesses.

I'm not a fan of retractable leashes.
It's way easier to gain control and to protect your dog on a 6 ft. leash than it is if he's 20 ft. or so away.
A family member was walking their little dog on one, fully extended, when a car pulled out of the driveway and hit it. Luckily, he survived. And a lesson was learnt.

As said though, it's finding what suits your dog best.
And for us, that's collars.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:03 PM

Dogs learn by doing. A dog that pulls, will pull what ever means of control is used. The idea is they are taught not to pull.

I have always worked on the principle that I don't take one step if they are pulling, which means they never pull me, If that initially takes em some days to get past the front door, so be it. I quickly end up with dogs that never pull. and never go through a door ahead of me.

But what do I know, I am a purveyor of poppycock.

Would you fancy being pulled by these little darlings

Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:07 PM

My dog doesn't pull on the lead, never has. She saw that cat though and she shot off after it.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:41 PM

This is cruel,must be uncomfortable for the dog,Its absolutely impossible to put a harness on our dog, he is absolutely TERRIFIED of one being put on, he just ' freezers' if anything is put on his back [ he is a rescue dog and still has a lot of fears,although he has improved a lot in the 2 years we've had him we only put his collar on when wre going out [ its a big oe meant for greyhounds etc]
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:22 PM

The extending leads are lethal to pedestrians .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:34 PM

Only if operated by an idiot, in crowds or on pavements they have a locking facility so you can use them as a short lead.

One of main reasons I use one on Betty is she's so short a short lead like Elsie has would leave her hanging or me bent over do she can put her feet on the ground
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 02:06 PM

I use a harness because it's recommended for my dog as the breed has delicate necks. A collar could choke him. But the harness is only on for walks and he doesn't even have a collar on inside. If you only use the harness for walks then it's easy to get it on and off as the dog wants to get it on fast and he gets a treat after being good when I take it off.

Julie is there a brand you'd recommend? You mentioned padding.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 02:09 PM

I've stopped using the extendable lead after my dog snapped his running after a fox. He's far better behaved on a short lead. I'd use an extendable one in the park but they are too risky on a pavement with cars around. How do others train their dogs to resist the lure of foxes?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top