Join for free
Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Re: The new passports (Post-Brexit)

Not in passports. They have a head office here and do other things like our polymer banknotes and stamps among others.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:43 PM

i dont see what the fuss is about the passports not being made in the UK. We have saved £50 Million so that has to be good.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
i dont see what the fuss is about the passports not being made in the UK. We have saved £50 Million so that has to be good.
Nobody seems to care about wasting money these days. You'd think that it grows on trees
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Nobody seems to care about wasting money these days. You'd think that it grows on trees
Ha ! I do hope the new passports are not coated in plastic !

There does seem little point in getting all strung up about this. It's not as if the passports will be issued in France, just a printing service with technology to make them more secure.
De La Rue will not loose any jobs so far as I can see, they print driving licenses , money, bank cheques, stamps, travellers cheques and a host of other things.
If we'd moved over to the Euro, they would have probably lost that side of the business too. We were very lucky to escape that. Although, Germany have stockpiles of deutschmarks , one has to wonder if they are for future reference.
Is it a security issue ? Can't see why, although Diane Abbot thinks it could be ! Does she understand anything ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 09:09 AM

It just doesn't seem right that our passports will be printed by the French of all people! It hurts just thinking about it
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It just doesn't seem right that our passports will be printed by the French of all people! It hurts just thinking about it
But we can do a lot with a £50 million saving!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
But we can do a lot with a £50 million saving!
I heard it was £120million.

Can the French firm deliver on it's promise with such a massive pricing differential?

It may end up costing us anyway. Sometimes it's better to pay a bit more and guarantee a good service and a good relationship with the provider.

If anyone has ever had any builders in, chosen the cheapest quote and then found the builder then ...

a) fails to prioritise your project.

b) cuts corners on quality

c) asks for more money or delivers less than expected

It could well be a false economy!!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Most of the headlines on this are misleading. The 120 million is quoted as over the life of the 5 year contract. Who knows how that figure was calculated and whether it represents reality. It is reported 70 jobs will be created in the UK so any net UK job loss will be tiny. The company already have a number of UK bases.

How news is twisted over the years... Here is an article bashing the current contract holder back in 2010 when they won the contract from the previous company. Surprisingly it's said to have costed £100m more than before and the previous contract holder suspected foul play :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...taxpayers.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-contract.html
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 01:58 PM

I signed the DM petition to have our British passports printed in Britain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tish-firm.html

In my opinion, to have them printed in France is just another government way of kicking us in the teeth.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-03-2018, 02:22 PM

I've read they don't all get printed in Britain under the current contract. It's funny how this all gets sensationalised by the press.

Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top