Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Re: Grenfell Tower

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand Grenfell Tower is a 'crime scene ' and can't be touched until any criminal proceedings have been concluded.
Indeed, and as I have said elsewhere I have it on good authority that many of the fire doors had been removed, presumably by some of the residents or their associates.

This is at least one thing that needs to be established and the appropriate people prosecuted.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 05:35 PM

The trouble with making it the residents fault you are letting the building managers off the hook. Residents aren't always the most intelligent and need the building owner or manager to check and make good on fire doors etc.

We've been in our flat since 1989 not once has anyone checked up that we are treating the flat well or safely.

It took 2 years to get them to take action against one resident that had open electric three bar fires among piles and piles of newspapers. Scary times for many of us. But council took two years to act.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Norway, the ex residents have nothing to do with the time the investigation is taking. That may be down to reduced resources in the Police and other agencies involved.

I think the long term plan is to put a memorial of some sort on the site.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The refurb wasn't done hastily or on the cheap. The building was there for decades and would have housed many people over that time, immigrants and non-immigrants.
I think you'll find that it was an old building recently brought up to scratch by accepting the cheapest tender and the quickest solution in order to house immigrants.

The original tenants moved out gradually when they were overwhelmed by foreign visitors, as has happened round here in Rotherham and Sheffield where whole streets have been taken over by Romanians and Bulgarians driving out the local residents, which include hard working Poles.

The local councils in their wisdom decided to house all the Romanian Travelers and Bulgarians in the same streets, which has made the whole neighbourhood a 'No Go' area with bonfires in the roads and drinking well into the night.

I sometimes think that anyone who doesn't live in an occupied town or city has no idea of what is happening to this country...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think you'll find that it was an old building recently brought up to scratch by accepting the cheapest tender and the quickest solution in order to house immigrants.

The original tenants moved out gradually when they were overwhelmed by foreign visitors, as has happened round here in Rotherham and Sheffield where whole streets have been taken over by Romanians and Bulgarians driving out the local residents, which include hard working Poles.

The local councils in their wisdom decided to house all the Romanian Travelers and Bulgarians in the same streets, which has made the whole neighbourhood a 'No Go' area with bonfires in the roads and drinking well into the night.

I sometimes think that anyone who doesn't live in an occupied town or city has no idea of what is happening to this country...
Indeed.

Therein lies the problem: massive immigration. It has caused us many problems in the past and it will continue to do so for as long as it continues.

Before certain people attempt to shoot me down in flames, I'll repeat what I have said many times in the past. I am completely in favour of our importing people with skills we need, but must not be a place for every Tom Dick and Harry to come to take what they can and contribute nothing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Yes but your original point was that this building was erected recently to house immigrants. That's not the case. It's been there 50 years or more.

But all this has nothing to do with the cause of the fire or the fact that the investigation is not concluded. It's a very cheap shot to blame immigrants for the fire as some seem to be doing on this thread. It's totally up to building management to keep residents safe and ensure that any health and safety rules are enforced.

The investigation will flush out whether the correct procurement processes were followed. This doesn't simply look at value for money, but among other criteria the ability of the tender party to do the job without compromising health and safety. At least one would hope they complied with established rules and did not cut corners. We simply don't know until in depth access to documents that are not currently in the public eye is granted via the investigation.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Norway, the ex residents have nothing to do with the time the investigation is taking. That may be down to reduced resources in the Police and other agencies involved.

I think the long term plan is to put a memorial of some sort on the site.
i agree that the residents have nothing to do with how long it is taking , and I didnt say anywhere that it was .

But we hear from authorities that most have been offered new homes, so why are they not taking them , is it because they hope they will be offered something better+
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
i agree that the residents have nothing to do with how long it is taking , and I didnt say anywhere that it was .

But we hear from authorities that most have been offered new homes, so why are they not taking them , is it because they hope they will be offered something better+
More likely that they have been offered sub standard places.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->

We don't know what they are being offered. I know of a friend whose cousin was diagnosed with aggressive MS last year. He and his wife live in a housing association flat in central London and have done so for many years. He is Irish so an immigrant too, although some here with Irish heritage may not consider him so. But anyway his situation meant that the flat they live in is unsuitable. It's up 3 flights of stairs with no lift. He has to go down the stairs on his bum to get to hospital appointments.

The local authority offered them other accommodation but it was all horrible. A ground floor studio flat offered was tiny and had no windows. All was substandard compared to what they have. All was badly maintained. When someone is that sick and unable to leave their room, the last thing they want is to not even have a window and to be in a dingy place when they already want to kill themselves.

So I assume that these people want like for like with what they had. Such accommodation simply doesn't exist for all those made homeless. These people have kids who are at local schools, they don't want to move to a new area any more than most of us would. Why should they? They are owed by the Local authority. They have been let down by the system. The system should come up with the right results and not feeble excuses. The system is guilty in this instance so must atone and not accuse.

Would you up sticks to somewhere many miles away if you had to?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 12:13 AM

Yes I would and I have done that's what many people have to do .

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top