Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Hip injury while unicycling

Hi all, and Happy New Year! It's been a while since I posted. I had a hip injury back on November 10th after doing some very aggressive Maneuvers on my unicycle. This was nothing new in the 13 years that I've been riding, however I hadn't done these Maneuvers in a very long time and probably wasn't sufficiently warmed up. The very next day I started having pretty bad pain in my left hip and groin area and immediately thought it was a torn labrum. Pain was almost unbearable in the first 10 or so days, but subsided after a couple of weeks and I'm still recovering and have been seeing a PT, and will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week and a neurosurgeon later this week.

I've had one X-ray and one MRI but unfortunately the the MRI was done without contrast dye, and hip labral tears are very often missed if not done with the dye injected. I'm hoping the orthopod will order an MRI arthrogram which will likely confirm whether there is a labral tear or not. Anyway I haven't been able to ride much but when I do it doesn't seem to be causing a problem compared to walking, since there is no impact when I'm just pedaling along.

So this young unicyclist named Augie had been watching my videos and emailed me saying that he and his parents would be coming out to my area from New Mexico, and wondered if we could meet for a unicycle ride. I said sure but I would have to take it easy because of a unicycle related injury.

Well I did a little bit more riding than I should have but luckily there weren't any problems, but this kid has a tremendous amount of potential and is already riding at an excellent level after only a year. At 11 years old he is the same age as I was when I learned to ride. Here's a little video I made of our riding.

https://youtu.be/culfrV9V-JE
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 08:19 PM

Re: Hip injury while unicycling

Be sure not to overdo it.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 08:48 PM

It's thoroughly enjoying when a kid takes on a sporting activity and puts some dedication into it. How great that you took a little time to mentor and encourage him! It sounds like you made a buddy and you have formed some memories he will enjoy forever. Nothing better than an athletic pursuit that can be lifelong!

Covering all your bases in getting a proper diagnosis and treatment plan is most wise. It can be challenging as we grow older to find physicians who understand that our goals are to get back into our sport - not be told to retire from them.

Glad to hear from you! Take care and speedy healing.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 09:05 PM

How old are you?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by UniGeezer ->
Hi all, and Happy New Year! It's been a while since I posted. I had a hip injury back on November 10th after doing some very aggressive Maneuvers on my unicycle. This was nothing new in the 13 years that I've been riding, however I hadn't done these Maneuvers in a very long time and probably wasn't sufficiently warmed up. The very next day I started having pretty bad pain in my left hip and groin area and immediately thought it was a torn labrum. Pain was almost unbearable in the first 10 or so days, but subsided after a couple of weeks and I'm still recovering and have been seeing a PT, and will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week and a neurosurgeon later this week.

I've had one X-ray and one MRI but unfortunately the the MRI was done without contrast dye, and hip labral tears are very often missed if not done with the dye injected. I'm hoping the orthopod will order an MRI arthrogram which will likely confirm whether there is a labral tear or not. Anyway I haven't been able to ride much but when I do it doesn't seem to be causing a problem compared to walking, since there is no impact when I'm just pedaling along.

So this young unicyclist named Augie had been watching my videos and emailed me saying that he and his parents would be coming out to my area from New Mexico, and wondered if we could meet for a unicycle ride. I said sure but I would have to take it easy because of a unicycle related injury.

Well I did a little bit more riding than I should have but luckily there weren't any problems, but this kid has a tremendous amount of potential and is already riding at an excellent level after only a year. At 11 years old he is the same age as I was when I learned to ride. Here's a little video I made of our riding.

https://youtu.be/culfrV9V-JE
You may have a Morel -Lavalle lesion .
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
How old are you?

I'll be 62 January 15th.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Trying to recapture a lost youth?
UniGeezer
California, USA

27-12-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Trying to recapture a lost youth?
Don't have to recapture what hasn't been lost yet haha! actually started riding in 2006 at the age of 50, and it has been the most amazing 12 years of my life, with the exception of the injury of course.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

27-12-2017, 11:09 PM

Why amazing? I don’t see any attraction in having a sore arse and a damaged hip a sport? for the young I would think
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 02:23 PM

I wondered what happened to you Unigeezer. Sorry to hear you have injuries. You have probably one of the oddest hobbies I have heard of but I think it's great that you still do it.

And a happy new year to you too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top