Join for free
Page 21 of 274 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Agreed that Odessa should be much higher up. I've got the original album on flac plus an out takes album with different versions of various songs. It was definitely one of the best early concept albums.

How about some Jackson Browne?
A great album, Ffosse.

Couple of Jackson Brown albums do feature, not sure where exactly though
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 08:28 PM

I've got a playlist of my 50 favourite Jackson Browne songs, same with Neil Young on his own and with Crazy Horse.

Trouble is finding enough time to listen to all your favourites. If you listen to 4 hours of music a day (and I do intently with my best headphones) that's only around 60 songs if they're 4 minutes long on average.

1000 albums with let's say 12 tracks each would take 200 days to listen to at this rate before you got through them all. So I would find myself repeating them as I couldn't go a month without listening to some Dylan or Neil Young, or newer bands like The Jayhawks or Josh ritter.

I've got one playlist that is around 2000 songs and I have that on shuffle a lot...then I'll listen to some Van Morrisson or the Smiths or Laura Nyro or Joni Mitchell.

So much music, not enough time. But I like to listen intently and critically rather than have music playing in the background.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've got a playlist of my 50 favourite Jackson Browne songs, same with Neil Young on his own and with Crazy Horse.

Trouble is finding enough time to listen to all your favourites. If you listen to 4 hours of music a day (and I do intently with my best headphones) that's only around 60 songs if they're 4 minutes long on average.

1000 albums with let's say 12 tracks each would take 200 days to listen to at this rate before you got through them all. So I would find myself repeating them as I couldn't go a month without listening to some Dylan or Neil Young, or newer bands like The Jayhawks or Josh ritter.

I've got one playlist that is around 2000 songs and I have that on shuffle a lot...then I'll listen to some Van Morrisson or the Smiths or Laura Nyro or Joni Mitchell.

So much music, not enough time. But I like to listen intently and critically rather than have music playing in the background.
A really interesting post there, Ffosse.
I like the dissection of how long it would take to listen to a thousand albums back to back. I reckon unless you're on a desert island or in prison you would never find the time, but it's an interesting conundrum.
Of the 1000 albums I put into my list, I'm obviously very familiar with them all but don't, of course, play them each all the time. It wouldn't be possible. Some I haven't played for years but because I'll listen to self-compiled CDs of various tracks, the parent albums are always familiar, hence the numerical order of my list.

It's great see somebody else who makes their own lists and CD compilations too. Most of my mates think I'm a bit a of sad case sometimes, as I go to such lengths! But it's only a hobby and I'm meticulous. It's just strange that I'm a fairly impatient sort of person normally but I'll spend so much detail in making these lists and CDs etc.

Van Morrison and Neil Young incidentally have many albums to come in this list.

Thanks for your continued interest, Ffosse
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Most of the music i now listen to is on my phone, copied from my CD collection. I have many more Vinyl albums, and a collection of tapes, all told about 2000 recorded pieces of music.

I used to devour the music press like Sounds NME and the Melody Maker, and Record Collector was a must have each month .

From 1981 Terry Hounsome New Rock Record was the bible of information
about bands and musicians present and past recordings.

I love variety in music i must admit to being a 60`s decade fan and ive music from all decades since, still looking for new and challenging sounds.

Music serves a purpose for me allowing to match or change my moods.

As ever Shakespeare, nailed it for me.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-01-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Most of the music i now listen to is on my phone, copied from my CD collection. I have many more Vinyl albums, and a collection of tapes, all told about 2000 recorded pieces of music.

I used to devour the music press like Sounds NME and the Melody Maker, and Record Collector was a must have each month .

From 1981 Terry Hounsome New Rock Record was the bible of information
about bands and musicians present and past recordings.

I love variety in music i must admit to being a 60`s decade fan and ive music from all decades since, still looking for new and challenging sounds.

Music serves a purpose for me allowing to match or change my moods.

As ever Shakespeare, nailed it for me.

I've seen that quote before, Nom. How true it is

A great series of reference books was The Great Discography by Martin C. Strong. I have most of those - rock, alternative, psychedelic etc. As for the music press, for me it was the NME, Record Mirror and Sounds. More recently Uncut, Mojo and Classic Rock.

I'm not out to the gym today, last night at work was knackering so expect a few more entries coming your way this afternoon
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-01-2018, 03:47 PM

It seems ages ago since any music appeared on this thread, but it's only four days ago actually. Good to have an intermission of conversation though.
Okay, 100 down. 900 to go...

No.900: "Little Games" by The Yardbirds (1967)

The final significant album from this great original rhythm and blues band. (*notice that I didn't say "R'n'B" - sadly that phrase is meaningless coupled to today's dross churned out by Rihanna and so on. Those teen-appealing "artistes" may have rhythm but they wouldn't know the blues if it slapped them across their faces).
Er, where was I? Yes: Little Games featured Jimmy Page without Jeff Beck in this far more psychedelic Yardbirds record. Clapton left long ago, Beck followed later and this is a very interesting album taking into account that Jimmy Page had free reign to show us the very early beginnings of the sound which would later become Led Zeppelin, featuring an early take of 'White Summer' amongst other wonderfully original tracks. Here's a single from this underrated but landmark album:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-01-2018, 03:53 PM

No.899: "White On Blonde" by Texas (1997)

I'm not adverse to some straightforward pop music occasionally, especially when a band comes up with an album packed full of great singles as Sharleen Spiteri's Texas did with White On Blonde.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-01-2018, 03:59 PM

No.898: "Oi Oi Si Si Ja Ja Da Da" by Madness (2012)

Suggs' nutty boys keep on not-so-quietly treading the boards after almost 40 years in the biz. This album was a brilliant return to form including some very witty and silly trademark Madness ditties.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-01-2018, 04:04 PM

No.897: "If You Can't Stand The Heat" by Status Quo (1978)

The second album in a week on here from the Quo. This 1978 release featured the big single 'Again And Again', but also includes one of my favourite tracks by the band, 'Accident Prone':

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Like the Kinks, and Squeeze, Madness wonderful band overlooked for their steady supply of superb singles and albums, and not taking themselves too seriously.

Page 21 of 274 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top