Join for free
Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Re: NHS Malaise

Makes no sense, is likely then that staff are working more than 12 hours shifts.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Makes no sense, is likely then that staff are working more than 12 hours shifts.
Many of them are.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Could you provide the data on the figures of nurses and doctors? Because many have retired and although there were many vacancies in the past these were filled with agency workers. If the agency workers are drying up or the hospitals are not permitted to spend scarce money on agency then therein lies your problem. Hospitals have had trouble recruiting for years. The nurses trained in the UK are not lining up for jobs fast enough. They don't necessarily want to work in places that need them.

Do the net migration figures give detail by skillset? I haven't seen any that do. All I can see is more unskilled people coming here. There was an article in the news just today about the University exodus of European staff.

The fact is that the whole organisation was made extremely complex by the health and social care act and it's not getting any simpler.
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...affing-numbers

NHS staff of all types have risen in each of the last 7 years..... Low Staffing Myth Busted!

However they still need more nurses but the main problem is poor planning with regard to providing training places at Uni/College.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...affing-numbers

NHS staff of all types have risen in each of the last 7 years..... Low Staffing Myth Busted!

However they still need more nurses but the main problem is poor planning with regard to providing training places at Uni/College.
It would be interesting to see the figures excluding health visitors. They do not work in hospitals but in the community and focus on young children (under 5).

The data also says :

"Despite this increase, there is a shortage of nurses in the NHS. Health Education England has estimated a shortfall in nursing staff of approximately 8.9 per cent as of March 2015, and has projected that this could rise to 11.4 per cent by 2020."
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
When I was an inpatient two years ago, some nurses and junior doctors were working at least 14 hours. One nurse told me that she could not, in all conscience, go home and leave tasks not completed. She finished at 10 p.m. and was back on duty at 7 a.m.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:12 PM

I just had another look at that data and I can see where the graphic is misrepresenting the actual numbers. The values in the graph show total numbers. So of course most of the staff are nurses. But the actual change is 281,064 FTEs in 2010 to 286,020 FTEs in 2017. Which is an increase of 4,956 actual staff in post.

A large chunk of those if you dig deeper are likely to be health visitors because David Cameron pledged to increase health visitors in his call to action in 2011. The planned increase over the years to 2015 was funnily enough 4,200 :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ation-plan.pdf

The reports show that the NHS is short of 42,000 nurses.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:15 PM

So is more money the answer? Or more hospitals? Or more staff? Or all three?
My good lady is an ex nurse, geriatric speciality, ( the reason we get on so well) she used to tell some tales about financial waste by senior management, one manager insisted that she had to have large double doors into her management suite, having an office was not for here, so a large storeroom was taken down to make her office into a management suite. The whole department was closed down some two years later, not enough cash available to run it has a separate a separate and dedicated unit.
Do we have the right people running the day to day operation of our hospitals?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
So is more money the answer? Or more hospitals? Or more staff? Or all three?
My good lady is an ex nurse, geriatric speciality, ( the reason we get on so well) she used to tell some tales about financial waste by senior management, one manager insisted that she had to have large double doors into her management suite, having an office was not for here, so a large storeroom was taken down to make her office into a management suite. The whole department was closed down some two years later, not enough cash available to run it has a separate a separate and dedicated unit.
Do we have the right people running the day to day operation of our hospitals?
That's ridiculous Rehab. Managers have far too much control over budgets. I'm sure lots of money is wasted because nobody scrutinises their decisions or maybe they are too scared to question them?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:30 PM

I really wish I knew the answer, I am sure there are posters on here who have held positions in public departments who might have some ideas. I readthat the NHS is the seventh largest employer on the planet, is that right?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:33 PM

I found when working for the NHS the waste of money was down to the management. Each department had an annual budget and come the end of the financial year if a department had a remaining surplus then it would be spent on unnecessary (IMO) things. This was done because if the department had a remaining budget, then the following year's budget would be reduced. I once saw the Works department laying turf on top if existing turf in the grounds. This was about fifteen years ago, maybe things have changed, but somehow doubt it.

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top