Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:41 PM

looking to update en-suite

Been out and about this morning looking at bathroom stuff. Sue and I have decided to , depending on cost that is, to completely redo the en-suite. One or two little things that need really sorting out properly, instead of doing things piecemeal better to rip it all out and replace.

Problems are toilet system flush button sticks in
no easy access to toilet cistern
Shower cubicle so big one has to sit on loo sideways
Shower unit the change knob for side jets and hand seized
shower unit seat ripped, not by us
Hand basin plunger to raise plug only just does it
Wall tiles stuck over other wall tiles

So fixing all that, may as well start agian

So booked appointment for estimates in the next few days to see what the bathroom people come up with.

as it is now

I have already shown the difference with the main bathroom when we had that done so hopefully doing this will do the same for the en-suite.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:51 PM

Re: looking to update en-suite

Hi realspeed

Sorry I can't see your pic but just wanted to comment on a couple of things that you mentioned.

Avoid the pop up basin wastes, (they never last) and go for a sprung or 'click clack' waste.

Avoid any trendy toilets with square seats, you'll be lucky to get a replacement in five years time.

Have you considered a wet room? It might solve the shower/toilet problem.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:55 PM

this is a proper en suite attached to the man bedroom ,not the place for a wet room. I do accept your other suggestions are worth mentioning though

here is a link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoL5wKEsS0Q
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Only thing I'd say is avoid dual flush we had one as it was recommended and had to change the cistern a few months later, it wouldn't even flush paper away !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

25-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Good point Julie that is giving us the problem now.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 08:13 AM

Those pop-up wastes are terrible - isn't it still possible to get a plug and chain?

Oversized shower cubicles are a problem. Make sure the water flow falls in the centre of the shower tray, otherwise soap suds won't drain away.

Decent lighting is essential over and around a mirror - presumably over a basin................and a vanity unit is essential for ladies!

Accessible and opening windows are better than an automatic extractor fan which turns on every time you open the door...........and wakes everyone up if the bathroom is used at night!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

26-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Lindyloo
Already asked about those popup plugs and some can be lifted out for cleaning and removal

shower tray at the moment is where it is off centre and works ok have to see what is available to match it when replaced. Don't want another hole in the floor

If you looked at the video the top window is already open

Mirror and light with shaving socket already there
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-02-2018, 12:43 PM

Sue and I have decided to rip out the shower unit -repace to toilet cistern and and the hand basin taps. completely re-tile the walls and move the heated towel rail.

So getting in a firm to do it. In the meantime just got a fantastic deal on the wall tiles. The tiler says we need 15 sq mtrs, so off we got to a trade centre that only deals in tiles

Chosen and ordered an end of line stock (and bulk buyed as that is all they had) of 17sq mtrs but only paid for 16 sq mts. Not only that originally they cost £27.50 per sq mtr but only paid £10 per sq mtr.

So saved a small fortune. They cleared their stock on that one and we got a real bargain

Also been to look at shower units and worked out we only need one panel facing the other way with sliding door it will fit from wall to wall giving us more space and again a lot cheaper than an enclosed unit.

Just got to wait for the plumber to confirm everything so we can go ahead and order.

Think Sue is getting quite excited now the planning stage is over and got a few better ideas
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 12:49 PM

I'm envious realspeed I love shopping around for bargains and I always haggle

We need before and after pictures
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm envious realspeed I love shopping around for bargains and I always haggle

We need before and after pictures
I did post a video of the now part but here it is again

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top