Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
So if we stop buying they'll have better lives ? I can't imagine that if they have same capitalism we suffer from.
We are discussing a move from production in Spain and Portugal among others to other parts of the World. So this would be a big increase in demand for agricultural produce from the chosen regions.

When there is a sudden surge of demand for agricultural products this does not come without consequences for the new growers. For example deforestation to create agricultural plots, diversion of agricultural land from local production to international export etc. I think the most devastating example was quinoa, but I am sure there are others.

We don't know what the working conditions for the farmhands will be or how much they will be paid or whether they will be well treated. At least in the UK we can try to keep an eye on that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Do we really need for example Broccoli sure it's nice and we eat a lot of it but it's labour intensive maybe we should concentrate on easy to harvest veggies .
Why should we have to reduce our available product lines when we have everything we need at decent prices as we are? This is where Brexit starts to become all about reinventing the wheel. Did people vote for all this nonsense?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Do we really need for example Broccoli sure it's nice and we eat a lot of it but it's labour intensive maybe we should concentrate on easy to harvest veggies .
Hi

Broccoli is no more difficult to harvest than Sprouts Cabbages and Cauli.

Potatoes, carrots and parsnips can be highly automated, but they would be boring if that is all you got.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Brocalli is a fussy delicate vegetable that must be picked in the middle of the night at a certain temperature before it flowers .
It is harvested and packed at the same time .
We can live without it .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 09:29 PM

There is one very simple answer to the brexit issue

All those in the UK who want to stay in the EU move over and live on the continent. That would ease up our housing crises- free up our roads- have plenty of hospital beds- school places in abundance. We would not have to pay so much in tax because most on benefits would be going as well when they get cuts under UK laws

Simples is common sense
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-02-2018, 09:30 PM

Considering the complexity of picking it, broccoli is astoundingly cheap.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

All those in the UK who want to stay in the EU move over and live on the continent. That would ease up our housing crises- free up our roads- have plenty of hospital beds- school places in abundance. We would not have to pay so much in tax because most on benefits would be going as well when they get cuts under UK laws

Simples is common sense
Hi

I do not know a single one of my Polish friends who are on Benefits, they all earn too much and pay full tax and National Insurance.

We have a young couple here, she is Spanish, he is Hungarian.

She is a microbiologist, he is a Hydraulics Engineer.

They were both the only qualified applicants for the jobs and both earn in excess of £40k a year.

It is about time we started training our own.

Unemployment here is 1.2 % and every single one in the Social Housing are UK born and bred and on Benefits.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 08:01 AM

Simples is common sense
Why don't you move to cloud cuckoo land?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well on this one you would be well wide of the mark Julie.

We have a minimum wage and healthcare.

They have neither.

We can make lives better in those countries if we want to by insisting what they sell to us is paid for decently. Write it into contracts that people have decent rights. I've worked for Japanese countries here insist on various clauses in contracts, if they can force me to do daft stretching exercises before I start work we can look at ways to help others with our contracts.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We are discussing a move from production in Spain and Portugal among others to other parts of the World. So this would be a big increase in demand for agricultural produce from the chosen regions.

When there is a sudden surge of demand for agricultural products this does not come without consequences for the new growers. For example deforestation to create agricultural plots, diversion of agricultural land from local production to international export etc. I think the most devastating example was quinoa, but I am sure there are others.

We don't know what the working conditions for the farmhands will be or how much they will be paid or whether they will be well treated. At least in the UK we can try to keep an eye on that.
See my reply to swim

Simples is common sense
Or simply move to London I think most of them wanted to stay, certainly most in that big building houses our MPs do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I do not know a single one of my Polish friends who are on Benefits, they all earn too much and pay full tax and National Insurance.

We have a young couple here, she is Spanish, he is Hungarian.

She is a microbiologist, he is a Hydraulics Engineer.

They were both the only qualified applicants for the jobs and both earn in excess of £40k a year.

It is about time we started training our own.

Unemployment here is 1.2 % and every single one in the Social Housing are UK born and bred and on Benefits.
I'm afraid round here I'm not so sure that applies. I know at least four who work only enough hours to access benefits, if you offer them more than 16 hours they are horrified. Also most are in nmw jobs that attract tax credits. Another form of benefit. They may not be unemployed but they know how to use the system.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top