Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:02 PM

The cost of olympic medals

Apparently Britain won 5 medals at the winter olympics from 60 athletes at a cost of £28.5million.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to make our own, probably wouldn't cost more than a tenner each....
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Re: The cost of olympic medals

I am probably in the minority but I find the Olympics to be a horrendous waste of money which could certainly be better spent on the world's poor.

The cost to build the villages alone is staggering leaving some of the host cities paying for years to come.

Sport just for the sake of fun and good times has no longer become the focus, now the focus is on who is the best. And I can bet there are many who would be better than the Olympians.....they just never will get the chance as it costs money to get to that stage of the game.

rant over now....deep breath, calming down.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:33 PM

Personally I begrudge every penny Sport England throw at today's athletes, for in reality it is just another quango bloated by public funds and with the usual agenda of creating it's own little trough from which to suckle the favoured few.

If athletics were truly popular then it should be self financing like other sports and the cash would come from sponsors and organisers the same as tennis and football. As it is the top athletes are funded all the way in their training, treating it as a full time job and then make a fortune from sponsors privately, a sort of double whammy of dosh. Not bad work ifyou can get it eh....

If public money is available it should only go to promote sports in schools which is essential to health an fitness in the young, but after that it should be down to the individual to make their own way.

Olympic medals these days aren't won they are bought by the state, and to my mind it makes a mockery of the original olympic ideal....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:51 PM

I'm in two minds about it really, on one hand it's a waste of so much money on the other Jordan almost made it to summer olympics team couple of years ago and I was extremely proud of him.

The individual athletes deserve a chance but the corporate money and government money is sickening.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:54 PM

I was watching a young girl being interviewed on the Tv yesterday, i think she'd won a bronze. She said not all the athletes had financial help to compete. The money comes the National Lottery, via UK Sport. She said there was a big difference between what male athletes got, and the females. This girl they were talking to said she'd had to work 3 jobs, while she was training, to fund herself. And it was only the lucky few who got a sponsorship deal, that came home without debt.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

25-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I was watching a young girl being interviewed on the Tv yesterday, i think she'd won a bronze. She said not all the athletes had financial help to compete. The money comes the National Lottery, via UK Sport. She said there was a big difference between what male athletes got, and the females. This girl they were talking to said she'd had to work 3 jobs, while she was training, to fund herself. And it was only the lucky few who got a sponsorship deal, that came home without debt.
I stand corrected then, £28.5 million for 4 medals......
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:37 PM

I really don't know how they train especially for the winterOlimpics it's must be horrendously expensive .
It costs enough to go on a one week packet skiing .
One did it through crowd funding but really amazing as they are ,I can't find it in my heart to regard snow boarding s as a kids amusement .
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I really don't know how they train especially for the winterOlimpics it's must be horrendously expensive .
It costs enough to go on a one week packet skiing .
One did it through crowd funding but really amazing as they are ,I can't find it in my heart to regard snow boarding s as a kids amusement .
When they were interviewing the guy who'd got a medal for snow boarding, they said it must be hard for any youngsters in this Country to get involved.......... He said, oh no it's not that bad. Wherever you like in the Uk you're probably within 200mls of a practise slope.
Only 200mls, we could all have a go.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I stand corrected then, £28.5 million for 4 medals......
That £28.5 million could help a lot of homeless people or fill a lot of potholes!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:09 AM

I see the usual forum grumps are out in force whinginging about the cost and how some poor African village would be better off if the money was spent on them. Yeh right snowflakes get a life.

Anyway Clare bloody Balding...her pay alone would buy Africa, a quote from her at the beginning of the games about how cold it was, ‘Most Winter Olympics take place in winter’....No shit Sherlock springs to mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top