Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 05:12 PM

Re: Dementia Villages

<<Residents would buy or rent their accommodation and pay for their level of care.>>
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Why not the government subsidies completely serial murderers in Broadmoor because they are mentally ill ?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 03:03 PM

I couldn't afford £5000 a month, I doubt many could.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Well, of course I'd sell my present house if I were moving into such a place but would probably soon run out of capital and then go ... where?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 03:53 PM

I really don't know how I feel about these, my mum who died on Sunday (mother's day) had Dementia but not too far gone, some days it was a lot worse than others. Her short term memory was very bad and I'd find myself having a conversation with her, then 10 minutes later we did the same thing all over again, and again, and again. She was in a Nursing Home and they were brilliant with her and she was becoming very settled there..
Lila
London UK

13-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Condolences! I am glad they were brilliant with her.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
Condolences! I am glad they were brilliant with her.
Thank You Lila, I was worried when she first went there but it turned out fine..
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 07:55 PM

I think it's a wonderful idea to keep the normality and routine of their lives as long as possible. I've been working with dementia patients both in a home and working for a lady in her own home. I noticed the difference in people with dementia living in a care home went downhill rapidly due to lack of stimulation and carers not having enough time. The lady I cared for in her own home, her decline was much slower as we continued with normal tasks that are done living at home such as cleaning, making light meals, cups of tea, routine things like shopping and visiting the hairdresser, chatting, towards the end this was all done with supervision as I was able to give her one on one attention and time. Giving time to a patient is paramount in how slow or rapid the decline.
Lila
London UK

13-03-2018, 08:27 PM

But most care visits are short, they don't have time for all that. Were you working for her full time? How many hours a day and what about night times?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
But most care visits are short, they don't have time for all that. Were you working for her full time? How many hours a day and what about night times?
I worked with her 4 hours a day, I supported her getting up in a morning as this was the time of day she was most confused, supported her by getting breakfast, then we would have a chat and watch some TV together and discuss the news etc, I would then go back at lunchtime to support her with lunch and sometimes we would go for a walk or just sit and chat or reminisce about the old days. Then I would go back at Teatime to support her with her tea and to get her bed clothes out ready for her to put on at bedtime. Some times we would go out for lunch/tea. Her Daughter and Son and family would go in between times and were always on the phone with her when left alone. We knew when the time had come that more care is needed so her daughter had the awful decision to make of whether or not to have her put into care full time. It worked between me and her family and her and her family grew to trust me. NOt only was she my 'client' she became my friend too. It was a lovely arrangement and sad that I had to leave but i couldn't go full time, I have my father to care for too. It would be too costly to have live in carers as they would need 2 full time carers. While I worked for her another important factor to helping her was that we laughed a lot together. I loved seeing her laugh.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top