Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 08:50 PM

My Baby’s Life: Who Decides?

I know it’s a bit like, telling you, after the horse has bolted but did anyone watch this programme on Channel 4 at 9pm, on Thursday? Part 2 is next Thursday.

It was a documentary following children who are on life support, at Southampton Hospital Paediatric Intensive Care Unit.
It showed the decisions having to be made by the parents and doctors. Some of the children were being kept alive and it was costing, hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, even then their survival wasn’t guaranteed.

It was quite harrowing to watch, especially when the child’s life support machine was switched off, as they had no chance of survival.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Re: My Baby’s Life: Who Decides?

I didn't watch it Art , I find that kind of thing almost unbearable to watch .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 09:04 PM

\I'm glad I didn't see that Art, I'd have been bawling my eyes out.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 10:33 PM

I'm afraid I didn't see it either.
I don't think I would have watched it even if I'd have known it was on.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 01:15 PM

I wouldn’t normally watch programmes like this but my daughter was watching it!

You could see the doctors side and the parent’s side too.

Even though, the parents were told there was no hope for their baby, they still clung on, in the hope of a miracle.
Some of the babies weren’t strong enough or their hearts weren’t big enough to be operated on, or to have a transplant.

At the same time, you could see how the baby was struggling. One minute it was doing well, then the next thing, it had a setback. It was attached to a machine and with tubes coming out of everywhere.

There was an incredible Palliative Care Nurse, who helped the parents so much and explained everything, every step of the way.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I know it’s a bit like, telling you, after the horse has bolted but did anyone watch this programme on Channel 4 at 9pm, on Thursday? Part 2 is next Thursday.

It was a documentary following children who are on life support, at Southampton Hospital Paediatric Intensive Care Unit.
It showed the decisions having to be made by the parents and doctors. Some of the children were being kept alive and it was costing, hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, even then their survival wasn’t guaranteed.

It was quite harrowing to watch, especially when the child’s life support machine was switched off, as they had no chance of survival.
That should be interesting, we will watch it on the iPlayer if it is available.

I think life support should be turned off if there is no chance a child would survive. My husband and I would have wanted our child to die in those circumstances.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That should be interesting, we will watch it on the iPlayer if it is available.

I think life support should be turned off if there is no chance a child would survive. My husband and I would have wanted our child to die in those circumstances.

Easy to say when you aren't having to make that decision

If only life was so black and white
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 08:48 PM

I tend to agree with Tarantula, TBH, if there is no no hope what is the point.
On the whole Doctors DO know what is what, painful as it maybe to the parents
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 09:43 AM

I watched this last night on catch up.
I agree with Tara .
I could not see a little child suffer so much .
Also I agree with the doctors it should not be the parents decision .
These tiny damaged baby should imo be allowed to slip away at birth.
The parents are young they will have other children .
They will be sad but will not have built up bonds of love as they do from keeping unviable babies alive to no avail
The tremendous cost to the NHS -up to £750 000 per year to keep these poor little things alive it's just not feasible and must be considered
They block beds that could be used for other children who do have a chance of a life .
It's sad but true .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 09:52 AM

When Gracie was born she had a massive stroke it was touch and go for a while, if Tasha had done as the doctors said she wouldn't be eating toast in my kitchen now. Doctors truly do their best I believe but they don't always understand human will and determination.

We just kept her going one day at a time fighting for each day and she turned a corner and gasped for breath herself by day three. If we hadn't been stubborn and annoying (doctors words) she wouldn't have made it.

Personally I'd say give them a chance if you can, but I guess it can be some should let go sooner, I'd not want to be the one making that decision though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top