Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Re: Do you keep learning ?

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I think I do this instinctively, or eh automatically (nasty word), or eh needfully (better) in that I constantly derive bits and pieces from wherever to help me understand me and others - life I suppose.
Which is what learning is so yes, you are still learning.

Can you dish out wisdom at the end of the day though? What the hell is a wise old man at the end of the day? A burnt out wreck?
Given that the words of King Solomon and Socrates are still well regarded today, I would say yes. (Sorry for chopping your post, it made it easier to reply to.)

I don't think I can cos in most cases I can't think objectively when considering people and feelings. I just get overwhelmed with my emotions and go haywire a lot of the time.
Objective thought is essential for wisdom - without it, you would merely be passing on the thoughts of others with little or no input from yourself. In days of yore, colleges would hold disputations to teach scholars the art of debating even the most ridiculous subjects (such as: why won't we allow vegetables to talk?) and the object of the exercise is to have scholars view things from an alien perspective and support that argument regardless of whether or not they believe in it - kind of enforced 'see it from the other side of the fence'.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Objective thought is essential for wisdom - without it, you would merely be passing on the thoughts of others with little or no input from yourself. In days of yore, colleges would hold disputations to teach scholars the art of debating even the most ridiculous subjects (such as: why won't we allow vegetables to talk?) and the object of the exercise is to have scholars view things from an alien perspective and support that argument regardless of whether or not they believe in it - kind of enforced 'see it from the other side of the fence'.
I can do that as long as I don't have to put myself in the shoes of the person requiring the all important wisdom bit. Vegetables I can be objective about but to impose my thoughts and ideas (probably misguided) on others to alter their own approach to life is a tad unsettling. Can someone be so arrogant as to think their way is the right way? Nah, surely that isn't wisdom but an attempt to indoctrinate, which isn't wisdom but an imposition. Wisdom? What is it?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Just for the record I failed every exam i ever took at school, not because I was dim, rather my mind went blank when I was put in an exam situation. I wasnt bothered because I thought school was a waste of time & irrelevant to the workplace.

Of course , I realised my error pretty quickly &took it upon myself to make up for lost time by enrolling for night school in subjects which I thought useful.

Accounts, Law (Contracts & Torts) English, Maths, Display & Merchandising, Textiles, Economics ,Retail Distribution & some others I have forgotten.

I can't remember the point I was going to make now, such is life eh?

I guess it's not what you know so much as what you do with your knowledge.

When I was a manager in commerce I took the view that I could never know everything so I gathered around me over a period of time people who had the knowledge I lacked. It worked well for a long time until I developed Parkinsons disease. It was a pleasure to learn over the years that the team I left behind went on together for 12 -15 years before the company was bought out by a rival & they retired or moved on. After18 years I still have correspondence with "my team"

OOPS I digressed rather.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Time for my cocoa...nite all
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ
Can someone be so arrogant as to think their way is the right way?
You know I am contradicting myself here big time. I do this when someone is showing certain signs of distress. I attempt to guide them back to a way of thinking that I consider is right and will do them a power of good. I have an inbuilt antenna attuned to the distress signals and will react impulsively and instantly when I detect it, as in when someone is somewhat off his or her rocker. Are we talking about wisdom though or just my reaction to a person who is confused? Is wisdom dished out only to the needy? Mmm quite a deep topic this. Making me think for sure.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
You know I am contradicting myself here big time. I do this when someone is showing certain signs of distress. I attempt to guide them back to a way of thinking that I consider is right and will do them a power of good. I have an inbuilt antenna attuned to the distress signals and will react impulsively and instantly when I detect it, as in when someone is somewhat off his or her rocker. Are we talking about wisdom though or just my reaction to a person who is suffering? Is wisdom dished out only to the needy? Mmm quite a deep topic this. Making me think for sure.
I was advised not to think, by someone I do not know, it was good advice, I now have some spare capacity.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 10:51 PM

I didn't stay on at school for qualifications so learned later on.

Evening classes (Adult Education):

GCSE English Language (B)
GCSE Human Biology (C)
Woodwork (for 2 years - thoroughly enjoyed this! Made quite a few things)
Creative Writing. But the course stopped after the Christmas break when too many pupils dropped out and only a handful of us went back. Gutted.

At work in various organisations - First Aid. Kept this up for many years.

Full time course at Pitmans college: shorthand, typing, office duties

Tried to learn German but gave it up when it got to the grammar. Just couldn't grasp it.

Also had a go at learning yoga. Oh, and did a class in self defence!

A lot of these courses were many years ago.

Just looked through the new prospectus for adult education classes and none of them appeal. Some could be handy, like further learning in IT, or learning how to use a sewing machine. I've got one tucked in my wardrobe and barely used it. Wouldn't mind pottery.

I wish I'd persevered with a Proof Reading and Editing course: that is a job I could do, working from home (don't want to go back into an office). I lacked motivation and abandoned it. Costly mistake.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I beg to differ from the view that knowledge equals wisdom.
This next extract explains better than I can...

Many people mistake knowledge for wisdom because they are intimately related, and this is unfortunate because they are quite different in an important way. Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and information. Wisdom is the synthesis of knowledge and experiences into insights that deepen one’s understanding of relationships and the meaning of life. In other words, knowledge is a tool, and wisdom is the craft in which the tool is used.

A subtle difference I suppose but I thought I'd make the point.anyway.
Absolutely agree RJ. Two very different things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 12:02 AM

I had to learn typing for my job at the time.
Also did a City & Guilds in Agriculture.
Then some hobby type things -
Dog training
Food Hygiene
Yoga,
Tai Chi
Reiki Healing
Card making
Wood carving
Would like to learn more about crystal healing and/or colour therapy.
Even tried car mechanics once, but was a dismal failure!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 12:56 AM

I've been very involved with our local U3A ever since I retired six years ago. I guess as a former high school teacher I just couldn't stay away from education of some kind and strongly believe that the more you use your brain the longer it will work.

I love U3A and now as president I both go to classes and teach courses. It's wonderful to teach seniors who are keen, enthusiastic and WELL BEHAVED!! Our members are lovely people who get a great deal from the social aspect as well as from what they learn in classes. We are very informal and mostly hold talks with guest speakers, have groups such as art, creative writing, mahjong, making doll's furniture, meditation, languages etc.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top