Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Re: Poverty today

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I was at one school that had so many homeless, that we bought a washer and dryer. Children who wanted to have their clothes washed could come early or have them done during an after school homework program. We had sweats they could wear while their clothes were being washed.

We were desperate to do anything to keep the children in school. We found that by ocassionally washing their clothes, we could minimize the bullying and humiliation some experience - and they were more likely to show up to class.

By the way, the homelessness for most of these familie was driven by waing of affordable housing (foreign investoris driving up home prices) and wages that weren't keeping up with housing prices.
I used to live in South America where the children wear white coveralls to school . Out of the most poverty stricken shack would come children in pristine white . Washed by hand most did not have running water much less a washing machine but it was a matter of pride for people to send their children to school clean and tidy.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually Roxy I would say a phone was vital as is access to the internet if you are looking for work. It used to be that job vacancies were advertised in the local paper in situations vacant but its all changed now. Vacancies are posted on the web and people also have to have up to date CVs, it must be very difficult to job search without a phone and internet access.
You mean you dont have to scan the local paper now, Whats the world coming to . I blame the mobile phone.

Our neighbour had her first mobile last year sometime ,but never took it with her until we pointed out that that was the idea , but she is a Gem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
You mean you dont have to scan the local paper now, Whats the world coming to . I blame the mobile phone.

Our neighbour had her first mobile last year sometime ,but never took it with her until we pointed out that that was the idea , but she is a Gem.
No paper locals here it's all on line ! Nearest local is the metro which is rather Londoncentric not very local at all to us.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top