Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Re: Poverty today

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually Roxy I would say a phone was vital as is access to the internet if you are looking for work. It used to be that job vacancies were advertised in the local paper in situations vacant but its all changed now. Vacancies are posted on the web and people also have to have up to date CVs, it must be very difficult to job search without a phone and internet access.

A few years ago the Jobcetre were actually giving out mobile 'phones to claimants so that the claimant could apply for jobs texted to them from the jobcentre.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Dave told me the other day that the Job Centre insist that you now also have an email address. Dave had the internet taken out when he lost his job and he comes up here and uses ours every week. He also pops into the Library to use their computers with the free Wifi to check things out...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Surprise, surprise - they are!!! - there's even a Government agency that chases recalcitrant spouses - Its called the Child Support Agency!!!

Yes UJ it might interest you to know that they invariably chase the fathers who are already paying .
The scumbags who have umpteen children and pay nothing usually get away with it. If it were law to pay towards the upkeep of ones offspring they might be a bit more careful .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:32 PM

A few years ago the Jobcetre were actually giving out mobile 'phones to claimants so that the claimant could apply for jobs texted to them from the jobcentre.

Never heard that one before .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have never heard of schools doing washing for children .
Who does it ?
A broken machine does not preclude washing clothles you know.
I was at one school that had so many homeless, that we bought a washer and dryer. Children who wanted to have their clothes washed could come early or have them done during an after school homework program. We had sweats they could wear while their clothes were being washed.

We were desperate to do anything to keep the children in school. We found that by ocassionally washing their clothes, we could minimize the bullying and humiliation some experience - and they were more likely to show up to class.

By the way, the homelessness for most of these familie was driven by waing of affordable housing (foreign investoris driving up home prices) and wages that weren't keeping up with housing prices.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-12-2017, 05:37 PM

Are you in the USA Surfermom ?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually Roxy I would say a phone was vital as is access to the internet if you are looking for work. It used to be that job vacancies were advertised in the local paper in situations vacant but its all changed now. Vacancies are posted on the web and people also have to have up to date CVs, it must be very difficult to job search without a phone and internet access.
When I volunteered at our village library the four computers were regularly used by people job searching or updating their CV's. The printer was behind our desk because the users had to pay 10p per A4 printout, so I would see what they were doing, but obviously did not read it, always placed it face down for them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Yes I'm not sure when or why that stopped it was a good idea. I can guess of course
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Are you in the USA Surfermom ?
Yes, and this was just a grassroots effort, Muddy.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-12-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
When I volunteered at our village library the four computers were regularly used by people job searching or updating their CV's. The printer was behind our desk because the users had to pay 10p per A4 printout, so I would see what they were doing, but obviously did not read it, always placed it face down for them.
This is an excellent and well-used service here too. The library manager looks the other way when it comes to some people's printing needs when they are clearly looking for work.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top