Join for free
Page 46 of 190 « First < 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 09:40 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Gurnsey brings back memories Bob we stayed in a lovely hotel in St Peterport, it was February 1978 and I spent most of the week in my bed with a chest infection so didn't see much of the place.

Enjoy your visit .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Gurnsey brings back memories Bob we stayed in a lovely hotel in St Peterport, it was February 1978 and I spent most of the week in my bed with a chest infection so didn't see much of the place.

Enjoy your visit .
Thanks Meg, sorry to hear that you were not well on your visit, perhaps another visit in the future...?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 08:09 PM

An example of the hidden bungalows nestling in the undergrowth.

Visited the farmers market at Sausmarez Manor first thing, there has been a farmers market here ever since we have been visiting Guernsey, every Saturday and a good collection of old and new from jewelry to juicy home grown vegetables.

We arrived early this morning and they had just set up, but it is well subscribed to later on.
I visited the toilets in the old manor and came upon this suspicious looking electrical installation....

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 10:52 PM

The vegetables look good Bob yum..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Very tasty indeed Meg, I believe the chef at this hotel sources all the local veg for his delicious meals, one of the reasons we keep coming back here....

Dull and overcast at six this morning as I set off for my six mile run. The first three miles are either all downhill or on the flat, but the last three are all up hill and it was during my struggle to the top of some of those hills that the mist came down and covered me in mizzle. It was no hardship really because it was keeping me cool but after breakfast as we walked a couple of miles to the college to view the art exhibition it turned into rain.

It stopped as we left but still misty as we scuttled into the museum; today it was just to take advantage of the splendid cafe' the artifacts will have to wait for another day. Just one highlight as we descended the hill down to the bus station was the arrival of the Condor Ferry, I've seen it enter the harbour on a few occasions but it never ceases to amaze me the size of the things.....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Had a late night last night, after sorting out the EU and the problem with the young generation with some elderly hotel guests it was gone midnight before I kicked off my slippers and sank into a deep sleep...

Not a scheduled running morning today so I had a lie in and started the day gradually....Sunshine reflecting off the sea and a gentle breeze ruffling the grass in the field across the lane so it promises to be a nice day, just right for a stroll across the island and a delicious lunch in a garden centre we discovered last year...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-08-2016, 07:58 PM

Mistakes I made today include:- Taking a larger rucksack than Mrs Fox. During our walk across the island there are many shops, and after buying several items on route Mrs Fox was unable to accommodate them in her small bag so mine was becoming heavier as the walk progressed. But the lunch at the garden centre did live up to expectations, and after the addition of two more items to the ever increasing weight of my rucksack we managed to find our way down into St Peter Port. Two cruise ships had arrived during the day; The Celebrity Sillouette and a smaller cruiser called the Sirena, cruise ships are a valuable source of income to Guernsey.

The beautiful marina at St Peter Port looks even better in the sunshine...

No day at the seaside would be complete without an ice cream and a walk out to the lighthouse. Looking back from the lighthouse to St Peter Port...

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

08-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Had a late night last night, after sorting out the EU and the problem with the young generation with some elderly hotel guests it was gone midnight before I kicked off my slippers and sank into a deep sleep...

Not a scheduled running morning today so I had a lie in and started the day gradually....Sunshine reflecting off the sea and a gentle breeze ruffling the grass in the field across the lane so it promises to be a nice day, just right for a stroll across the island and a delicious lunch in a garden centre we discovered last year...
Sounds great Bob I hope you put those people straight.
The marina looks perfect today under the blue sky
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Thanks Meg, concerning the EU, most of the guests here are older mature members of society who know which side of their bread is buttered......

Gushing......
Not a word I would use to describe the shower in our room 'Trickling' would be more appropriate.

Managed to get out early for my run this morning, I had a sneaking suspicion that it was going to be a good one. The sun had already risen in a clear blue sky but wasn't high enough or hot enough to give me any problems. Down hill into St Peter Port and along the harbour front to my first obstacle; Grange road, an unrelenting climb for about two miles, even after the initial climb the route is interspersed with small undulations and very little flat or downhill bits. Relentlessly I carried on even taking a small diversion to add a bit extra, I was soon back at the hotel, sweating like a bull but having completed seven and a half miles and feeling very satisfied.

We decided to make Tuesday a rest day and after breakfast spent the morning round the pool reading and sunbathing. There's a new cafe' opened up in the village so we thought we'd give it a try. Nice decore and the mug of tea was decent but the salad accompanying my ham sandwich was a bit DIY with large pieces of red and green peppers with inedible skins and no cucumber or tomatoes: For God's sake! An island that prides itself of the quality of it's tomatoes and they were absent from the salad... Furthermore, the heavily tattooed girl who prepared the food round the back came through the cafe' to use the toilet and her clothes were dirty and stained, we will give it a swerve next time....

We caught the bus into town to visit our favourite ice cream van (It's getting to be a habit) but didn't realise it was the bus 'Out Of Town' so after a pleasing tour of the Guernsey countryside and witnessing what could only be described as 'White knuckle Driving' we alighted about an hour later (slightly shaken) on a journey that should have taken ten minutes.....Well, we're on holiday aren't we........

Rest Day......
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Blimey Bob, your "Bits" were nearly on display.

Page 46 of 190 « First < 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top