Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Re: Eclipse in the US

I wasn't particularly interested in 1999 when 'we' had an eclipse, neither am I interested in any of the boring platitudes emanating from the US, Eclipses happen from time to time, have done throughout history - get over it!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I wasn't particularly interested in 1999 when 'we' had an eclipse, neither am I interested in any of the boring platitudes emanating from the US, Eclipses happen from time to time, have done throughout history - get over it!!!
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty...

You really are a misery.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

You really are a misery.
Just better things to do with my time than watch the shadow of a satellite pass in front of our star. In 1999, whilst everyone else sat on a mound on our local golf course gazing up into the sky, I was busy with my bucket picking blackberries ready to make blackberry gin with.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 01:57 PM

Just better things to do with my time than watch the shadow of a satellite pass in front of our star. In 1999, whilst everyone else sat on a mound on our local golf course gazing up into the sky, I was busy with my bucket picking blackberries ready to make blackberry gin with.
Far more important than how the universe works.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 03:35 AM

Baw ha ha ha... You do realise a solar eclipse only lasts a couple of minutes?

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

You better rush off and do all those important things you do like whinging about the UK's Tory party and making disparaging remarks about Americans.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 04:25 AM

Oh, Joe, you are giving me such grief . As I am quite the multi-tasker, I could watch the eclipse, pick blackberries, and probably bake a pie all at the same time. I might even let you look through my telescope if you asked nicely enough .

Bruce, the jealousy will be ours in another decade or two as eclipses will be passing overhead in Australia, by looking at your map (an interesting find), about once a week or so! .

Looking at each ribboned date, I was thinking...I'll be retired by that one, hopefully traveling extensively for that one, enjoying my grandchildren for the next one...oh, but I'll be dead for that, that, and that one.

And as for "Leisure" it is true that as the years get shorter, we should stand and stare longer....and eat blackberries every chance we get.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:21 AM

It is easy to understand why people were scared of eclipses in the 'olden days' !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by bruce ->
joe, me old pal, me old beauty...

Baw ha ha ha... You do realise a solar eclipse only lasts a couple of minutes?

What is this life if, full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
and stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at beauty's glance,
and watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

You better rush off and do all those important things you do like whinging about the uk's tory party and making disparaging remarks about americans.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

23-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Oh, Joe, you are giving me such grief . As I am quite the multi-tasker, I could watch the eclipse, pick blackberries, and probably bake a pie all at the same time. I might even let you look through my telescope if you asked nicely enough .

Bruce, the jealousy will be ours in another decade or two as eclipses will be passing overhead in Australia, by looking at your map (an interesting find), about once a week or so! .

Looking at each ribboned date, I was thinking...I'll be retired by that one, hopefully traveling extensively for that one, enjoying my grandchildren for the next one...oh, but I'll be dead for that, that, and that one.

And as for "Leisure" it is true that as the years get shorter, we should stand and stare longer....and eat blackberries every chance we get.

I don't eat 'em darlin' - soaked in Gin and sugar for a few months and they become a delightful liqueuer!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-08-2017, 09:28 AM

I watched the eclipse on TV and was envious that I was not there to witness it but I was a bit disturbed by a man singing 'The final countdown'. IMO, things like this should be seen in silence to get the full effect.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top