Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 04:57 AM

Physisist in the house ?

I'm rather curious about gravity. I understand that gravity is "the attraction between any two objects in the universe". And if I understand correctly, gravity is made up of tiny particles known as gravitons. There, my very limited knowledge ends.

Is this in some way related to magnetism ?
Are gravitons "tiny bundles of atoms"

Would anyone with a knowledge on this topic please explain ?
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 05:51 AM

Re: Physisist in the house ?

I doubt very much if you'll get an answer as nobody understands what gravity actually is.

There are many theories bouncing about, one of which you have mentioned. Einstein, I believe, was of the theory that gravity was related to the density of an object, such as a star or planet.

That density warped space, where objects were drawn into the gravitational field and circled that object continuously.

Because the object was continually falling the orbit remained constant. The big question to answer is, if space is a vacuum, and a vacuum is nothing, how can the density of a planet or sun warp nothing.

Taken from the Internet.

"How did Einstein describe how gravity works?
GETTING A GRIP ON GRAVITY Einstein's general theory of relativity explains gravity as a distortion of space (or more precisely, spacetime) caused by the presence of matter or energy. A massive object generates a gravitational field by warping the geometry of the surrounding spacetime.4 Oct 2015".

Therefore, what is space if it can be warped. A bit above my pay grade, I'm afraid.

These links might be of use.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 06:14 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FOGEY. I occasionally run "thought experiments" and sometimes I will figure out an answer. I must admit, however, this one is a tough nut to crack.
I've lately been taking it down to it's lowest common denominator and imagining two atoms, which as you already know, are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. I'm sure there must be some tiny amount of electrical force within each atom. Perhaps the answer lies in that electrical force.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 06:18 AM

Hi

Gravity, a much misunderstood thing.

It is incredibly weak, contrary to popular belief.

Use a small magnet to lift a pin off a table and you have overcome the entire gravitational force of the earth, think of fridge magnets as the same.

It is not like magnetism, which can be turned on and off, and is a much stronger force.

There are strong electromagnets in use in normal everyday life.

When you go to the hospital you walk through fire doors in the corridors held open by electro magnets.

If there is a fire, the electricity to them is cut and they swing closed.

We have magnetic trains.

You cannot turn gravity off, well not at the moment at least.

If we could turn gravity off we would not need rockets to get us into space, hence the fascination with anti gravity plates.

Simple, isn't it, what we are taught at school?

The apple falling on Newton's head, it explains everything we see both on earth and in the skies, planets rotating around the Sun and not just floating off all over the place.

Then along came Einstein who put the kibosh on that.

Out goes Newton's Law and in comes Relativity.

Gravity is not a force, it is a result of the shape of spacetime.

We basically know nothing, Gravitational Waves, first thought of by Einstein a 100 years ago have only just been detected.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...nal-waves-ligo

We also think that gravity is transmitted by gravitons, a mass less particle.

We are hunting them at Cern, the big collider in Europe.

It will be fascinating if we find them as they can only exist in another dimension.

Surfermom can explain the big bits, she is an astronomer.

I like the little bits.

Gone are the days of falling apples and atoms having just protons, neutrons and electrons.

Welcome to the brave new world of ripples in spacetime and extra dimensions.

Science Fiction is becoming Science Fact.
bakerman
Mexico

04-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Ha Ha When I fell off a roof, landed on concrete, and broke my back and shattered my right wrist, I don't recall that gravity was "incredibly weak".

Also, I don't believe that N.A.S.A. thinks that gravity is very weak; nor any other nation who tries to put objects into space.

Any one who has ever tried to move a refrigerator up a flight of stairs is not likely to agree that gravity is "incredibly weak".
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:22 AM

If it wasn't weak, we would all be routed to the spot
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:24 AM

Get a weak magnet and see how easy it is to pick up a paper clip .
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:25 AM

See! I told you. Nobody knows what gravity is.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
See! I told you. Nobody knows what gravity is.

I don't , I freely admit it

I do remember some years ago on one of the science programmes so sort of thinking that Gravity was coming from somewhere else, not earth

Or something like that
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ha Ha When I fell off a roof, landed on concrete, and broke my back and shattered my right wrist, I don't recall that gravity was "incredibly weak".

Also, I don't believe that N.A.S.A. thinks that gravity is very weak; nor any other nation who tries to put objects into space.

Any one who has ever tried to move a refrigerator up a flight of stairs is not likely to agree that gravity is "incredibly weak".
Hi

As I have posted elsewhere, you can try and educate someone on a Forum but you should never try and control their thoughts.

Your thoughts on the subject of gravity are obviously fixed and are most definitely at odds with those of Einstein and other world class physicists.

I will leave you to your thoughts.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top