Join for free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Is America Right To Give Citizens The Right To Own Such Deadly Weapons?

Obviously here in the UK we can only look on in shock horror at what happened to America regarding the Las Vegas massacre.
Our hearts go out to them.
Reading the below article by well respected journalist Max Hastings in Tuesdays Daily Mail had me wondering what folks feel about the thread title.
The article link is below, but it ain't pretty reading i'm afraid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-weapons.html
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:01 PM

Re: Is America Right To Give Citizens The Right To Own Such Deadly Weapons?

Thanks for the link Boozer.

Interesting what he tells us about Australia.

I don't like the Mail, don't trust it, but the comments are always worth a read...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:09 PM

Of course they are right to....it's in their constitution...alter that and you alter the whole ethos of what makes America great in the eyes of society.

Personally I think it's madness.....I couldn't live in a country that has enough weapons to arm every single member of society including children.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Good article BC.
It's one thing to own a small handgun for personal protection, but who on earth are you protecting yourself from with an AK47?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Weapons/armoury = dollars!

War is profitable!

Sad, isn't it?

As for Australia:
Australia had it's worst mass shooting on April 28th 1996.
Just 12 days later Australia announced a bipartisan deal on sweeping gun control measures.
The government bought back and destroyed over a million guns.
Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since.

Speaks volumes..........
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good article BC.
It's one thing to own a small handgun for personal protection, but who on earth are you protecting yourself from with an AK47?
It's the whole mentality of ownership, this is not an attack on American's per se, but individuals who won't accept the constitution needs altering?

I am a member of policeone.com the largest law enforcement forum in the world, or it was.

If you are a varified LEO(Law Enforcement Officer)you get access to areas closed to the public...boy is that an eyeopener.

In the US prison staff, parole officers, some security sectors are classed as Law Enforcement so I was given access because I worked in gthe prison service at that time.

One shooting that stuck in my mind was the VA shootings....the cops on policeone, or most of them believe that allowing students of 16+ to carry firearms in school would have a positive effect should something similar happen on campus, the students would be the first line of defence, first responders as the emergency services call it.

You will never get the NRA to change nor the politicians the NRA support(Bribe) so generously to lobby against firearms carry laws as long as attitudes lkike the above exist.

I think a lot of Americans are waking up to the problems they have and are gradually moving away from this attitude..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:53 PM

I suppose the rot has set in Tpin that it would take many years to make a difference even if the law changed tomorrow and everyone accepted it.....Which they wouldn't. I fear that 'Gun Control' in America is a non starter...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

04-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Imho, those with the greatest chance of success, which is virtually nil, are the mums....especially those that have lost children to gun shots....accidental discharge they call it.....like friendly fire(both coined by the NRA)I refuse to use them.

To me it's negligent discharge and gross incompetence.

For a nation that forbids alcohol to those under 21 it's amazing how they allow "Kids" to carry deadly weapons.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:47 PM

It's part of their culture and history. But it is a land of contradictions. A friend shared a pic comparing Brie cheese (illegal in the US because it's unpasteurised) vs a (legal) semi automatic gun.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:02 AM

It is their country and their business, nothing to do with us.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top